MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Thumbs up 32nd Q: Pork Necks 3-Ways H&F 4H20 [w/ pr0n]

Here we go with three small equally sized pork necks without bone without speck at a total weight of 16.75 lbs:

I barely trimmed them, just some of the hard fat. Three pieces cried out for three different rubs, leading to the decision to try
  • The all times favorite Lemon Pepper
  • Austrian Pork Roast Rub ("Schweinsbratl", featuring caraway)
  • Carolina Pulled Pork Butt Rub (featuring cumin)
as a comparison cook. So let's see how that worked out!

Firing up a full chimney of lemon lump

Overview on a cold snowy Saturday

The reddish one is the Carolina, to the right the Lemon Pepper, and the one at the top left the Schweinsbratl

Less than 3 hours later hitting IT 165°F ready for foiling in apple juice

The whole cook was over after 4 hours and 20 minutes, when the probed one hit IT 203°F, and off they went into the oven @ 200°F resting for several hours. And this is the outcome after re-crisping unfoiled at max. grill:

Carolina

Schweinsbratl

Lemon Pepper

It all got pulled

Although tasted pure, the main dish was pulled pork sandwiches with self-made pita bread, yogurt-based coleslaw and our 'Essence of Q' sauce

And the winning lineup was:
  1. Lemon Pepper
  2. Schweinsbratl
  3. Carolina
Honestly, I had some troubles enjoying the feast, because I had *way* too much Penne Con Yellow Cheddar for lunch, so I was still stuffed in the evening.

Nevertheless, the decision was clear, nothing could beat the lemon pepper, it's just such a clean and simply amazing flavor profile.

The Austrian Schweinsbratl was nice too, a little on the salty side, but still better than I had imagined.

The Carolina featuring cumin was *totally* disappointing, I really had high expectations in that recipe, but the oriental taste of cumin just didn't fit, and in addition it was not salty enough.

The more I try, the more I think it's better to keep it simple, and I am almost definitely sure that nothing else following can beat a simple S&P, although I am very temped to try PitmasterT's Butt Glitter next (hopefully I'll be able to get the missing ingredients, which are mustard powder and celery seeds).

So this will be a porky week with lots of PP sandwiches, but now I am off for a curd casserole with sour cherries for lunch.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:07 AM   #2
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

You do great work bro

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

"self made pita bread"???
It looks great, care to share recipe and process.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Will have to ask the wife, that's her thing.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

By any chance, does your lemon pepper have MSG in it?

Not that I am a hater, but a lot of people respond well to it.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
Clayfish
Full Fledged Farker

Since nothing you compare it to ever comes close to the lemon pepper rub, I might have to try it soon. Have you ever used it on ribs?

Hawg Father, it's a home made lemon pepper rub:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=147758
22" WSM, 22" OTG, [COLOR=navy][B]Jumbo Joe[/B][/COLOR], WSJ, Mini WSM, WGA, Maverick ET-732, [COLOR=red][B]Red [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen and a twelve year old gasser which hasn't come out of the shed since I got a taste of charcoal!
Clayfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Was that just lemon pepper or a bub based on lemon pepper?

I looked up the ingredients for lemon pepper and it does not list MSG but it does have salt as the first ingredient.

All three of your butts look great. I do put cumin in my rub but very sparingly because it is very pungent.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
By any chance, does your lemon pepper have MSG in it?
What's MSG? And yes, it's home made, since we do it all by ourselves (the only commercial rub we have is Yardbird by courtesy of fellow brethren QansasjayhawQ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayfish View Post
Since nothing you compare it to ever comes close to the lemon pepper rub, I might have to try it soon. Have you ever used it on ribs?
So far it was a hit on all beef & pork, I see no reason why it shouldn't work on ribs as well, but it definitely is a matter of preference, we like ribs on the sweet side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
Was that just lemon pepper or a bub based on lemon pepper?
Pure lemon pepper as outlined here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
All three of your butts look great. I do put cumin in my rub but very sparingly because it is very pungent.
That Caroline PP Butt Rub recipe called for 2 tbs cumin, which is what I used. It wasn't just the cumin, but the overall flavor profile of that rub.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The pork looks great! It looks awful cold there, the view from your deck is great.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Cumin, or comino, as it is called in Texas, TexMex or Mexican cooking, it a very powerful spice. Use it right, and it adds a distinct, but subtle and pleasing flavor to food. Use too much, and it will easily ruin an otherwise good cook. I rarely use comino in a rub -- unless I am doing a TexMex or Mexican dish. It wouldn't occur to me to use comino in Carolina BBQ, but I live in Texas.

You really can't go by a recipe when comino is involved. You really have to add small amounts at a time, until you have just the right amount. Add, taste, add, taste, and stop when it is right. The line between just enough and too much is pretty thin.

If you do add too much comino, you can sometimes save your food with some nutmeg. Nutmeg can balance out too much comino, within reason. I've used it to save a pot of chile that I overloaded with comino.

You need to taste your rubs before you put them on the meat. Wet your little finger, dip it in the rub, and taste it. If you taste something offensive, fix it before you use it.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow looks great! Hmm pork necks. gonna have to try that.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Cumin, or comino, as it is called in Texas, TexMex or Mexican cooking, it a very powerful spice. Use it right, and it adds a distinct, but subtle and pleasing flavor to food. Use too much, and it will easily ruin an otherwise good cook. I rarely use comino in a rub -- unless I am doing a TexMex or Mexican dish. It wouldn't occur to me to use comino in Carolina BBQ, but I live in Texas.
I guess I don't have a very authentic pulled pork then. I like a little Southwest flavor so I include some Ancho powder and a little cumin. If I'm particularly energetic, I'll toast some whole cumin and grind it.

Quote:
You need to taste your rubs before you put them on the meat. Wet your little finger, dip it in the rub, and taste it. If you taste something offensive, fix it before you use it.

CD
That's a good suggestion and something I should be doing.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #13
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Fantastic idea! Quite crazy, but I never tasted my rubs before applying, didn't even occur to me.