MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #31
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good call!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #32
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking good - and I do believe you are lucky! Kids coming rules ... for me its my 2 bothers and their families. Used to be they'd come and eat and not clean up; now if they want BBQ they have to clean up :)

Old 06-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #33
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Last night it went from 7 or 8 people to now pushing 20... Friends heard and they're driving over in their boats... Impromptu party, apparently. :-) 'tsall good.

I suppose there are worse reputations to have.

Runnin' 'er a little hot today, on purpose. Guerry, I normally run 250-270 and really dont sweat small temp changes. Today I'm in the 270-290 range. I'd like to get these done around 3:30. The shoulders will be probably around 2:30 to 3:00, but the hams will take a little longer.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #34
deguerre

Cool. I've decided on a pineapple juice, brown sugar, powdered mustard and vinegar mix with a touch of salt for the injection on my ham. Wish I could have a taste of yours though!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Last edited by deguerre; 06-14-2013 at 09:20 AM..

Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #35
discmen95
Knows what a fatty is.

I actually think Crystal is less hot than most (Franks, etc.) I like it better, because I think it has a more complex flavor profile.
discmen95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #36
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by discmen95 View Post
I actually think Crystal is less hot than most (Franks, etc.) I like it better, because I think it has a more complex flavor profile.
BAM! Exactamundo. Crystal is not hot, but it (And the original Louisiana Hot Sauce) has a distinct flavor dimension. Much preferred by me to Franks.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #37
Mahoney86
Full Fledged Farker

Looking great. THats an awful lot of extra food, you're just as bad as me! Cant wait to see more pictures
Mahoney86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #38
Lake Dogs

WHEW. Exhausted. I'll see if I cant get some pics out a little later, but probably tomorrow morning. Only 14 showed, but we had a great time... Friends left with 2 gallon bags of Q. I have 2 in the fridge, and 4 in the freezer... I really enjoyed cooking the hams, but they're just not as flavorful as the shoulders. Next time we'll probably just do shoulders (coming soon; our July 4th party but it's been moved to July 20th for a ton of stupid reasons).

G'nite y'all. Pics tomorrow.

Oh, you're probably right, perhaps not as hot, but a better flavor IMHO.

The Shack Attack was a hit with those of us who like NC style Q. Me, I like all types, and afraid that my waist line bares evidence...

Old 06-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #39
Lake Dogs

Was right at 11am yesterday (4.5 hours into the cook), "the turn" I call it; foil time. A few quick pics, I dont like to delay in this step:

Shoulder; PLENTY of smoke on 'er. Time for foil:

These quick pics happened right at 6:30 and I had to "shoo" the kids away to get it. We were bringing out the coleslaw and calico beans and what-not. Sorry no pics of the different sauces. This (what hasn't been eaten so far) is about 10 gallon bags worth of Q. We ate approximately 2 bags worth last night, 4 in the freezer, 2 given away, 2 in the fridge:

Old 06-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #40
Lake Dogs

Not happy.... <this little girl>

She wasn't the center of attention all day and puppy chow just wont do...

Old 06-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #41
deguerre

Anybody ever accuse you of being a pretty darn good cook, Hance?

Old 06-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #42
bwsy2k
On the road to being a farker

The pics look Great. Thanks for sharing
bwsy2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #43
Lake Dogs

That's all.

Boshizzle, thanks for the Shack Attack recipe. Not everyone was as enamored with it as I was, but I WAS. One of the things I really hate with most mustard sauce recipes is that they try to make them sweet, and IMHO sweet and mustard dont mix in BBQ sauce...

A few other sauces presented (as is my norm). Our "Lake Dogs Competition Sauce" was "the bomb" as usually and is still this crowds favorite by a long shot. Speaking of shots, that's what a couple of kids did with some (crazy kids)... Blues Hog Tennessee Red gained a few more fans (still my favorite out-of-the-jar/bottle sauce). My "pot luck" sauce was the crowds second favorite. Pot luck is just the accumulation of left-over sauces from previous BBQ's. It's kind of like chili, where mixing all of 'em together seems to be better than the sum of them individually. It's very good. It is/was the only sauce I presented this time that had any smoke seasonings in it whatsoever.

I hadn't cooked hams in a couple of years. These were good sized ones... I enjoyed the cook, but frankly the quality of BBQ isn't up to par with the shoulders. Next time we'll (which is coming up in a few weeks) we'll probably just cook shoulders.

My double-secret injection (mentioned a few times here and pics shown above of ingredients) has been a consistent hit. This BBQ is as good cold as it is hot, with or without sauce... The rub helps, but especially when doing very large cuts getting flavors down in the meat is really a key to this. That, and keeping it moist (easier said than done with hams).

Did spend a little time "at the lake" yesterday. Time to mow the lawn, then "jump in" for the rest of the afternoon.

Have a great weekend y'all, and Happy Fathers Day to everyone out there with kids.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #44
Lake Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Anybody ever accuse you of being a pretty darn good cook, Hance?
LOL. Like most here that enjoy cooking, I have my "strengths". Luckily, I guess that BBQ seems to be one of 'em. I'm just glad they like it.

MOD: The pisser is that now they all said pretty much what we at brethren talk about; can't really eat BBQ out any longer because it's just not up-to-par...

Old 06-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #45
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Thank you for sharing your cook!
Sounds like great time with family.

Do you do your comp pork in foil pans too?
Thanks!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote