MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #31
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Akorn, so I'm very glad to know about this. Not sure if the table on one side is better than having smaller tables on both sides. Opinions on this? Any other features on this one, not on the original? B
UDS
Blutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #32
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutch View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on an Akorn, so I'm very glad to know about this. Not sure if the table on one side is better than having smaller tables on both sides. Opinions on this? Any other features on this one, not on the original? B
The 2 smaller tables would definitely be easier if you move a lot, plan on taking it caming, plan to take it to comps, or don't have a lot of space. If you plan on owning your house for the next 10 years (and are not leasing apartments every year or 2 like me), then the bigger performer style side table would probably be your thing- you can do a lot more work on one big table rather than 2 small tables where the plate might end up falling off after a little elbow grease.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #33
Big dawg
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutch View Post
I would rather get the one with the table
With these kamados you need room for accessories and take into consideration you might be cooking pizza one day and The table will come in handy. I had to build my own table to sit my akorn in because the side shelves were not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #34
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Big Dawg is right.

When I switched from a Performer to the keg with 2 side tables, I bought a table. I never felt that urge when I was using the Performer. Now that I have a work table seperate from my grill, having side tables is a bonus, but if you have to choose between one or the other and you don't want to buy or build other prep space, I think I'd recommend the table.

Having said that, one of the best things about the Akorn on 3 wheels is how easily it moves around the patio. I can move it with my left hand while holding a plate of food with the other hand. The reason I like it is because I hate using grill covers so I can easily pull it out from under the awning between cooks and put it back when I'm done. That's not going to be as good a strategy with a table. It won't be as hard as moving a ceramic though.
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #35
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
Yeah, I really have no idea how they brand and market these things. Like I said before, best I can figure is it's retailer-by-retailer. I'm sure there are those more savvy about it than I am.
I don't think Chargriller is savvy about marketing at all. It's so weird. They clearly spent a ton of thought and energy on the design but their marketing plan seems to be to just throw it out there and hope the kamado speaks for itself. I guess I'm ok with that if it keeps the price down but it seems risky. If it was me, I would at least develop a page on the website to help answer questions or explain the features.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #36
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Super brief update: stopped by both Home Depot and Lowes over lunch and while neither place had this new model on display or in stock, they both basically said trucks with spring merchandise for the grilling departments were literally due "any day now". Lowe's said they may have new outdoor cooking stuff appear online or in their take-home "2013 Grill Guide" before it shows up on the display floor as well.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #37
Big dawg
Knows what a fatty is.

The Home Depot I saw this akorn at did have a ton of new grilling accessories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #38
tpope
Full Fledged Farker

Well I looked in Home Depot today and did not find an Akorn.
tpope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #39
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

I went to Lowe's here in Kokomo today and asked about this Model Akorn the 6520 that was on the box in the picture...Lowe's called Char-Griller and they were told that this Model will be exclusive ONLY to Home Depot !!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #40
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

Home Depot couldn't give away the Vision Kamado Pro and they discontinued the $329 performer last year.

Maybe this will sell.
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #41
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley Q View Post
Home Depot couldn't give away the Vision Kamado Pro and they discontinued the $329 performer last year.

Maybe this will sell.
True, but Home Depot is really, really bad at this. They never stick with a product long enough for it to get traction and their sales people are not properly trained to sell the products for the 20 seconds Home Depot actually keeps a product on hand. It's a really bad combination. lol.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #42
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

I think this new cart model is pretty interesting, but to be honest, it's neither a deal breaker or deal maker for me, personally, and given my cooking space, I like the mobility of the old tripod version. I've been going back and forth between getting an Akorn or a ceramic kamado for months now, and have decided with the cookers I already own, the Akorn will suit my needs nicely, and with no regrets. I'm likely to pull the trigger on a standard 3-wheel Akorn before the weekend.

That said, I'm going to be really interested in following this cooker and it's marketing. Am I the only one that has to wonder if a kamado maker seems to be squarely modeling itself after a Weber product with similar price point, you'd have to think there has to have been a meeting at Weber at some point weighing the pros and cons of entering the kamado market -- particularly the steel body one given their quality in that area and the way the Steel Keg and Akorn marketing has gone so far... right?
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #43
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

I agree Scott and I will also probably go with the Lowe's Model !! Close to my house and the salesman went the extra mile for Me, trying to get the new model !!I bet too that Weber will be looking into the Steel Kamado also !!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #44
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsfan View Post
True, but Home Depot is really, really bad at this. They never stick with a product long enough for it to get traction and their sales people are not properly trained to sell the products for the 20 seconds Home Depot actually keeps a product on hand. It's a really bad combination. lol.
Sales people? Home Depot has sales people?

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #45
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbob View Post
I bet too that Weber will be looking into the Steel Kamado also !!
I don't know- I can't imagine weber making a kamado. Anything weber did make kamado-wise, I would think the price would be so high that you might as well just get one from an already established kamado maker. Plus, almost all of the weber grills are made in the usa, so weber would either have to 1) make it in the usa and charge a decent amount more or b) import it and go against a lot of what I regard weber as being. Either way, if they make one, I'm not sure if I myself would consider it a weber.