MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Default jerky questions

I got some good recipes for jerky that are for ground jerky. What could I do if I wanted to use these same recipes for sliced jerky? For sliced jerky I usually marinate the meat in ziploc bags in a liquid mixture but these ground recipes are dry spices you mix in with the ground meat. Any suggestions?
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

Thats the only jerky I make, is dry spiced, then smoked at 160 pounding it hard with oak smoke, for around an hour, then let it cool to around 100 for 5 to 7 hrs till dry.

Everyone seems to like it.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can apply the dry spices, or you can mix them with Worcestershire sauce or Teriyaki for a marinade. Dilute with water to desired strength, bag and marinade as you normally would.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
You can apply the dry spices, or you can mix them with Worcestershire sauce or Teriyaki for a marinade. Dilute with water to desired strength, bag and marinade as you normally would.

This is what I was wondering. You are saying I could mix up my dry spices and add water or any other liquid and pour over the meat? I don't want to alter the flavor of the recipes so maybe just adding a cup of water to the mix and pour it over.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I use Alton Brown's recipe and use a box fan to dry it out. (He uses liquid smoke). It's the most tasty beef jerky I've tasted. I sit a box fan face down on kitchen counter raised up by 4 soup cans. My cooling racks are stacked on each other with just enough space to allow airflow--they sit under the fan.

His recipe is on the Internet / Youtube. It's equal amounts of soy sauce and worcestershire sauce. Along with some honey, pepper flakes, onion powder and liquid smoke.

I'll have to try and smoke some jerky some time to see what it is like.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
I use Alton Brown's recipe and use a box fan to dry it out. (He uses liquid smoke). It's the most tasty beef jerky I've tasted. I sit a box fan face down on kitchen counter raised up by 4 soup cans. My cooling racks are stacked on each other with just enough space to allow airflow--they sit under the fan.

His recipe is on the Internet / Youtube. It's equal amounts of soy sauce and worcestershire sauce. Along with some honey, pepper flakes, onion powder and liquid smoke.

I'll have to try and smoke some jerky some time to see what it is like.

That sounds like a homemade dehydrator. I have dehydrated lots of jerky but I have also smoked some. I like to smoke the stuff. I built my UDS last year and it has replaced my cheap upright electric but I kept the electric around for stuff like this cause it can go so low on temp.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:07 AM   #7
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I wet marinade for a day, then lay on racks with my dry rub for a day, then in the smoker at 140 /160 till ready..I will only use pork tendetloin or eye of round for the beef

Old 12-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwr View Post
This is what I was wondering. You are saying I could mix up my dry spices and add water or any other liquid and pour over the meat? I don't want to alter the flavor of the recipes so maybe just adding a cup of water to the mix and pour it over.
Just enough liquid to cover the meat is ample. Make sure the cure is fully dissolved before pouring over the meat and make sure each piece is individually wet so all surfaces get the cure, then marinade.

The taste will be different because in the ground recipe, the spice is mixed and trapped internally, whereas the sliced jerky has occasional spices on the surface.

Make sure you air dry to a tacky touch before moving to the smoker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
I wet marinade for a day, then lay on racks with my dry rub for a day, then in the smoker at 140 /160 till ready..I will only use pork tendetloin or eye of round for the beef
I agree with you... Beef Eye of Round is great for making jerky.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-11-2013, 04:16 AM   #9
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

also...I rinse off the spices and put a few in naked for the dawg.....as they get 15 dollars a pound for the dog chews..at the grocery store..even turkey strips with out spice alot cheaper and better than what they sell for my critter..

Old 12-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #10
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Just me, but I like ground meat jerky BETTER. (and so do my gums).
jerky gun, dehydrator, and if needed, a grinder.
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_Shuford View Post
Just me, but I like ground meat jerky BETTER. (and so do my gums).
jerky gun, dehydrator, and if needed, a grinder.

I like ground better too but as my kids get older I get busier.... and so slicing the meat is a lot less time consuming then going through the grinding priocess then jerky shooting it onto the racks. Plus I enjoy it either way so for me sliced jerky made the most sense now adays

Old 12-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #12
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Can anyone tell me if you can marinate jerky too long? I will be using a soy, worcestershire, honey, and hot sauce mixture. I wanted to get it started this morning but I may not get around to having time to smoke till saturday or sunday. What happens if it sits in refrigerated marinade for 3-4 days?

Old 12-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Use bourbon instead of water to wet they dry cure recipe. Gives a great flavor.
Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwr View Post
Can anyone tell me if you can marinate jerky too long? I will be using a soy, worcestershire, honey, and hot sauce mixture. I wanted to get it started this morning but I may not get around to having time to smoke till saturday or sunday. What happens if it sits in refrigerated marinade for 3-4 days?
you can't over do it with just a marinade. If the cure was in the marinade, it could cause nitrite burn, but as I recall your cure is being added after the marinade, so all should be well for the extended soak.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

I use a wet marinade but I always find it is too salty. Soy is really salty so be careful when using it. You might be better off cutting the soy with 50% water if you are using a premade cure.
Also, make sure your meat is dry before placing in the smoker.