MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Default Ridiculous Price of Guru

I was thinking of adding a Guru to my UDS, I see some folks do and I would like to set it and forget it. After looking at Guru's web page it shows the DigiQ DX price of $179, I'm thinking not bad, then you hit the color button and it jumps in price from the $179 to $291 The paint shouldn't cost another $100 for something the size of a pop can I'd paint it myself
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I went to their web page seems to me someone could rig one of those thing up a lot cheaper. Might not look as fancy.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
chibi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBBQ View Post
I was thinking of adding a Guru to my UDS, I see some folks do and I would like to set it and forget it. After looking at Guru's web page it shows the DigiQ DX price of $179, I'm thinking not bad, then you hit the color button and it jumps in price from the $179 to $291 The paint shouldn't cost another $100 for something the size of a pop can I'd paint it myself
did you look at the package that you add a fan and adaptors with it. then the price jumps up for the cost of the fan.

Vertical insulated charcoal dropping clone.
Homemade offset.
Traeger LilTex for winter cheating.
<><

Remember when you get in the
storms of life that's when you have to learn to dance in the rain.
chibi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
BBQ Grail

Then don't get it painted...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
btcg
Babbling Farker

If you have a temp gauge, just get a NanoQ. Total package about $200.00

In fact, I'm ordering a second one this week, as well as an extra fan & temp reader.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
isolated01
Full Fledged Farker

If your going to spend the money get the stoker.
isolated01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
bmarley5780
On the road to being a farker

PID controller + fan + some internet research = 60$ ish...
bmarley5780 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBBQ View Post
Yea, that’s about the right price. I think you get what you pay for and this is a great piece of equipment. Price should not be a concern for the right piece of equipment. I use one for my UDS and it works perfectly. Easy to use and I set it and forget it. Oh by the way - they just took RGC at the Jack.
[COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]-[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]- Backwoods Competitor[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- Ugly Drum Smoker[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- XL BGE[/B][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]HAWG Nation on Twitter: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black][URL="http://twitter.com/HawgNationBBQ"][COLOR=#0000ff][B]@HawgNationBBQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.TheBestMeatRub.com"][B][COLOR=blue]www.TheBestMeatRub.com[/COLOR][/B][/URL]

Last edited by HawgNationBBQ; 10-24-2010 at 06:28 PM..
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I like the Guru stuff....think about the $$$$ youll save in fuel and time...keep in mind your hobby isnt a cheap one..

p.s. why blast some one over the price of a product??? are you gonna blast Weber over a $399. tag on a 22 1/2?.. good products are just that good products. whats next $7.99 over a bottle of Yard Bird??
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isolated01 View Post
If your going to spend the money get the stoker.

why?
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

me personally, when i find the need for something like this i think i'll build me own. Like bmarley5780 said, it's in the PID.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Maybe I'm looking at Guru's info wrong, but don't believe so. Once you enter a color on the guru web site, the price jumps $100! It's posted at $179 I just entered the standard items, 10 cfm fan, bulkhead adapter,standard meat probe, standard pit probe, and color, boom! Price jumps. They should just put the $291 on the selling price to begin with instead of $179... I just want fan and pit probe, I don't care about meat sensor.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #13
jestridge

that the best fun of bbq is coming up with things I like cheap. No one said it would be easy.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
I like the Guru stuff....think about the $$$$ youll save in fuel and time...keep in mind your hobby isnt a cheap one..

p.s. why blast some one over the price of a product??? are you gonna blast Weber over a $399. tag on a 22 1/2?.. good products are just that good products. whats next $7.99 over a bottle of Yard Bird??
I'd pay that for a weber

Old 10-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #15
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Just curious, but if the WSM and a UDS are already set and forget, why the need for this type of equipment? I can see if for bigger rigs and set ups where you need to move air faster and compensate for temps drops more quickly, but why in a WSM or UDS or Kettle, or smaller units?
If a person can already get 10+++ hour steady burns on these units, how does this type of technology make it better. Most times, steady is a difference of 5 degrees or so just by the unit on its own.
Interesting topic.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote