Royal oak good price?????

Pastaboy

Reaction score
Menards has royal oak premium briquettes for $4.97 #18 bag. I'm new to this so i'm not sure if it's a good price or not or if it is a good brand to use, it seems like everyone is always recommending kingsford. Thanks

I used the same stuff for my maiden voyage with my UDS last weekend. I too am new to the game but thought the stuff was fine. It wasn't matchlight - that's all I was worried about. If more experienced posters recommend it, perhaps I'll pick up some more tomorrow too.

If Harbormaster will chime in, it may be the same as the chef's select he swears by. If so, good deal. I use almost exclusively lump for indirect but some 100% hardwood briqs like Stubbs etc ain't bad for grilling once they're ashed over. Can't pay me enough to use Kingsford though (except as lit in my chimney). Can't stand the chem taste......

That's an awesome deal...I'd buy whatever I can fit in my shed at that price.

If Harbormaster will chime in, it may be the same as the chef's select he swears by.
Like I told Chris, I don't know if it's the same as ROCS. Checking their website, it looks like the premium briquettes are the standard RO briqs. It does not say they are 100% natural, so I would be inclined to say they are not the same as ROCS.

Like I told Chris, still better than KBB IMO.

I picked up a couple bags last year from Kmart, The briquettes are about 1/2 again as big as the Kingsford Blue bag. It seems to burn hotter but also burns up quicker at least for Grilling, seems like pretty good stuff.

That is a good price, pick up a few bags and give it a try.

I came across this sale yesterday and am going to buy up a carload. That at least will keep me until the Memorial Day sales

I usually stock up on it whenever Walmart has it. Bought some Stubbs for the Weber as well.

I don't think it's the same as Chef's Best, but it's still got the oak taste and burns well with little ash. Just as a reminder, Chef's Best and RO Lump can be accessed through the Do It Best locator. Just type in zip and they will show the place nearby to you that carries it through their store network. 40# CB is listed now at $22.99 most places and is the best value for a rest. quality briqette. Steve.

Last edited:
Well, I put my money where my mouth is and just got back from Maynard's with six bags in the back of the dinghy.

would it worth the money to get the hickory briquettes for 7.99 or just stick with the RO charcoal. need to stock up.

Back