MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
Cheech
Knows what a fatty is.

Default If you could do it all over would you?

For those that do catering if you could start over would you keep the BBQing as a hobby or would you start a catering business again?
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
Dutchovendude
Got Wood.

Knowing what I know now, I would have done a lot more preplanning. I have a business where I have to go out and cook at the customer’s site. This is a pain when doing something like a church wedding in the rain. Sitting out in the parking lot with tents and a smoker for 15 hours is not fun. Doing business without proper equipment and storage space is a real mess. I did buy a 16 enclosed trailer to haul all the equipment around in, but the Health Department will not allow me to prep food inside of it. I have to set up all of my cooking stuff up in tents outside. If I was to do it again, I would defiantly get a Health Department approved trailer (I am working on that now) for cooking and prep work. They are a real time saver and a warm and dry place for you to cook.
I have a rented storage shed to keep the equipment in because I do not have a garage. It is extra stress on your family also. I love catering, but my wife hates it and my kids and other family only help out for the money. It is fun work, but that is how you have to look at it, work ....It's a JOB. Don't think that it will be an easy way to make a few bucks. In fact, for the first little while, you will pay out a lot more than you will bring in. There is an old saying "The best way to make a little money in BBQ, is to start with a lot of money!" I did not make a profit my first year at all. The cost of doing business the legal way is high. Business license $100, Health Department permit, $225, Insurance, $250, storage shed $60 month, basics just to set up in tents to cook will run at least $1000.
All this is just to "start" selling. I see a lot of guys just selling out of their backyards with no license or insurance. You have to ask yourself, is it worth losing your house and everything you own if you serve bad BBQ and get sued? It’s always best to go the legal way.

Don't get me wrong. Catering can be a very fun business, but you will have to treat it like a business and not a hobby. It's a lot of work, but it beats digging ditches!
There is a lot of good reading on this site about starting up a catering business.
Search it out and good luck if you want to try and do it.
There are a lot of helpful folks here that can help guide you through it.
Yes, I would do it again.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Last edited by Dutchovendude; 12-06-2009 at 04:05 PM..
Dutchovendude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Start over differently, but I would do it again!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
Bbq Bubba

Absolutely! Wouldn't change a thing!

(Except move out by Steph where the rich caterers are). :)
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
JD McGee

I'm still workin' on doin' it right the first time......so far it's a very exciting pain in the arse...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Absolutely! Wouldn't change a thing!

(Except move out by Steph where the rich caterers are). :)
I think I need to move a little closer to Steph...

Old 12-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
NotleyQue
Full Fledged Farker

would not change a thing, and would do it all over again in a second.

[CENTER][B]Notley Que BBQ: Southern California's Finest BBQ Catering[/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black]Meat is Murder......Tasty Tasty Murder[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
NotleyQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

A lot of work but has been rewarding. Wouldn't change a thing

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2009, 01:39 AM   #9
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Since I just got into it (September 09) I would have to say that my only regret was waiting to do it. Everyday is new and a learning experience, and I have met some totally awesome people (especially on this board!!!)...

Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

I have to agree 100% with tmcmaster!
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

Great question! I have been cooking out of my backyard for people for about 8 months now and I have had smooth cooks and nightmares. This past weekend I did a party with the customer calling the day before the event asking for appetizers at the last minute. Of course I said "no problem". Big mistake on my part. It snowed 4 inches, my helper couldn't make it, had to run all over looking for stuff, my wife who works all week and had planned to decorate for Christmas Saturday ended up having to help me. It went right to the wire with the time. Then the customer calls as I am leaving asking me to pick something up for her. No help loading everything. As I left the house I told my wife I was going to sell every blanking smoker I owned and she would not even get me to grill a burger again. Delivered everything, came home and collapsed. I missed all the college football games I had planned to watch as well. I woke up Sunday morning, fired up the Spicewine and put a couple racks of ribs in with a couple of Cornish hens and relaxed. Today I went to pick up everything and collect a check and she had included a tip for $250.00! I love cooking but it can be a pain. I plan to get legal over the winter. A trailer would be nice but the budget doesn't allow it yet.

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #12
Cheech
Knows what a fatty is.

armor your answer is part of the reason that I ask the question. It is sort of like speaking to someone after running a marathon (I could never do that but this is what I hear). During it it is a ton of work however once over they want ot do it again and again.
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #13
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

I can relate to Armor's story. There are some days where I'm cussin' up a storm and wondering why I put myself through all that work. (Chef Irvine's got nothing on me when things are going badly) But then the smiles on people's faces and all the compliments plus the cash make it all worthwhile.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #14
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Do It Over Again ... Would Change in Starting Earlier in Life as 50 the Farking wheels head for the ditch ;-)

Old 12-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #15
DR's BBQ
Found some matches.

I wouldn't change a thing at all. Like someone else said I wished I did it sooner so I would be further along. Having my own business before this helped a lot. I think the business end is the hardest part and not what I would call "fun" time but is part of the deal.