Wrap pork butt during overnight cook

sincitydisciple01

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
For years I’ve wrapped pork butts during cooking. But I think this weekend I’m going to do an overnight cook for the first time. For folks that cook overnight, do you get up halfway to wrap, or do you just let it go all night/morning unwrapped? I don’t think I’ve ever cooked a butt w/o wrapping, so I’m a bit on the fence on how to approach. THANKS!

This is off-topic, but why do you need to do your cook overnight? I understand if you're catering a lunch event the next day, but for messing around at home I'd rather just get up a 6AM and get a full night's sleep and aim for dinner between 5-6PM.

I don't do overnight cooks all the way on the cooker. My idea of overnight is start it on the smoker at 5 PM get 4 -5 hours of smoke on it. pan it - wrap it- stick it in the oven at 170 degrees overnight. When you get up and get your coffee- you can kick the temp up to 250 degrees to finish it out. (looking for approx IT of 203/ bone wiggle/ fork tender - however you know "it's done" normally)

good luck

I put my butts on around 10PM and let it roll until around 6AM and then wrap if the bark is ready. If you go low and slow ~225 range you'll be good to go. Same for brisket.

I over-night cook all my briskets and butts. Put them on around 7pm at 230F and take them off around 9am the following morning. I never wrap during the process and most of the time the cook turns out great.

This is off-topic, but why do you need to do your cook overnight? I understand if you're catering a lunch event the next day, but for messing around at home I'd rather just get up a 6AM and get a full night's sleep and aim for dinner between 5-6PM.

Not a requirement or anything like that. When done, it’s all going into the freezer. Bought a new blower so figured this would be a pretty good test drive. Set it all up, put the meat on and then head to bed. Get up early the next morning and it’s (hopefully) done! In theory, an overnight cook would still free me up most of the day afterwards.

I don't do overnight cooks all the way on the cooker. My idea of overnight is start it on the smoker at 5 PM get 4 -5 hours of smoke on it. pan it - wrap it- stick it in the oven at 170 degrees overnight. When you get up and get your coffee- you can kick the temp up to 250 degrees to finish it out. (looking for approx IT of 203/ bone wiggle/ fork tender - however you know "it's done" normally)

good luck

I've seen this exact technique. Now that I'm cooking on an offset (instead of set/forget egg) I'm quite intrigued. Any downsides to this? Any loss of moisture holding at 170 for the additional hrs (would think not much if tightly wrapped)? Trying to come up with any negatives before trying.

For pork butt seems like a slam dunk.

Wondering what would happen with brisket

For brisket, I usually wrap in butcher paper. I'm thinking pull off smoker at normal stall temp, wrap in butcher paper, wrap in tin foil then hibernate in oven at 170 until morning. Then unwrap tinfoil (leave in butcher paper) raise to 250 and finish.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Downsides? depends We have a guy at work who makes a *fine* brisket using this overnite cheat. he wraps in foil- he's not a super "bark guy" -neither am I. He brings them to spreads at work- they all kick in to buy the meat and bring sides. He has yet to haul any home. It's not Franklin's but it's good.

I can't say if you will lose moisture if you wrap in paper- maybe a little -who knows? Give it a shot on a Smitty's Walmart Select maybe? :grin:

I am going to have to experiment with this. It would make life SO much easier. I'll report back once I've played around with it a little bit. Thanks for the tip!

No need to wrap a butt. Just set the temp to 225-250 and you’re safe to sleep like a baby assuming your smoker is all set to run unattended.

i

good luck
i have done that for years and works great , i usually get about 6 hours of smoke take it out and stick it in the oven . saves time and money and you can not tell it wasnt finished in the smoker.

If I want butts ready for a lunch....I put them in late at night, run the smoker low and slow so they are ready to wrap when I get up early in the morning.

That let's me enjoy the evening getting the smoker up to temp, getting me in the right mood, and enjoying a couple of beverages and a cigar before putting the meat on and hitting the rack.

The only downside is that if I stay up too late and enjoy the party ....I don't feel like getting up to wrap. But...I man up and do it and go back to bed:)

Back