Best brisket yet, thanks to SmittyJonz

sleebus.jones

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
As many folks have, I've struggled to cook a brisket that I'm happy with. The flat was never what I wanted it to be. About a month ago, a post by SmittyJonz made me realize what I've been doing wrong. It was so simple: "probe in the thickest part of the flat." Well, duh. Not sure why I wasn't doing that, but I threw one on last night with the intent to do just that. Cook that sucker until I had a flat I was happy with.

I did this with SPG with a bit of a twist: I whizzed up some dried shiitake mushrooms in a food processor and added them to the rub at a rate of 10% of the weight. I figure I'm getting umami from the Worcestershire sauce, so why not add more with dried mushroom powder? :loco:

This was my first overnight cook on the PG1000. I was a bit concerned as temps were going to be in the mid 40°'s overnight, and I wasn't too sure on the impact of pellet usage. Well, there was no reason to be concerned at all. I dumped a 20# bag of hickory pellets in, set the cooker for 275° and let 'er rip. After 13 hours of running, I had used roughly half the bag, about 10#. Very impressed with the pellet burn on this cooker, even in cool conditions.

So, here's what the brisket (10#, Choice) looked like at after about 10 hours of cooking.

duD7HRnh.jpg

Plated up. This is the flat, and it's also the first time I've had moisture on the surface of the flat after cooking it.

0N9OP5Yh.jpg

It was every bit as tasty and juicy as it looks. The SPGM was a bit underwhelming. I didn't have much made up, and the brisket definitely tasted underseasoned. I'll have to give it another shot, when I can get an appropriate amount on there.

Thanks again Smitty! Your one quick comment did more to improve my brisket than just about anything else I've done. :thumb:

Edit for things I missed: Forgot to mention that I pulled, wrapped and rested in a cooler for 2.5 hrs. Brisket was cooked nekkid. (the brisket, not me)

Last edited:
Sounds like you had one of those "AH HAH!" moments. That's cool and it's great that you got help from Smitty.

Meh! Overrated. :becky:

Just kidding SJ. Great looking brisket brother! I truly believe in shooting for a perfect brisket, resting is key.

I forgot to mention that part! I pulled it, wrapped it and rested in a cooler for 2.5 hours.

This was my first overnight cook on the PG1000. I was a bit concerned as temps were going to be in the mid 40°'s overnight, and I wasn't too sure on the impact of pellet usage. Well, there was no reason to be concerned at all. I dumped a 20# bag of hickory pellets in, set the cooker for 275° and let 'er rip. After 13 hours of running, I had used roughly half the bag, about 10#. Very impressed with the pellet burn on this cooker, even in cool conditions.

It was every bit as tasty and juicy as it looks. The SPGM was a bit underwhelming. I didn't have much made up, and the brisket definitely tasted underseasoned. I'll have to give it another shot, when I can get an appropriate amount on there.

Looks pretty darned good to me. The PG1000 is insulated, I've cooked on my FEC10 at -20 without any problems.

Try some of that 407BBQ rub I left after the bash. It won't be under seasoned. Actually, you won't need as much rub as you'd think.

Looks pretty darned good to me. The PG1000 is insulated, I've cooked on my FEC10 at -20 without any problems.

Try some of that 407BBQ rub I left after the bash. It won't be under seasoned. Actually, you won't need as much rub as you'd think.

You know, that was my actual plan, but I got the mushroom idea and had to give that a shot. The 407 rub is going to go on the next one!

looks like it came out great and would munch that down about now .

Sounds like you did a fantastic job. Thanks for the reminder about probing the thick part of the flat. That is not something that always crosses my mind when I am cooking.

Yeah it is. This one turned out really well, even without my usual pre-salting routine; looking forward to the results from the next one to see how that affects everything.

Back