Weird (or Not) question...

JEStucker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
That one particular harbor, So far, but yet so nea
Had a Brisket on since roughly 6:00am, cooking in my UDS.
Smoker seems to be holding consistent temperature ranges at around 225-250* (windy and snowing today here in KC.) I haven't opened the smoker, but I do have my digital thermometer inserted and mounted where I can read it. The internal temperature of the meat seems to be weird... I looked earlier and it was 177* then I looked again an hour or so later and it was 184*... now I just looked and it's saying 170*

Is it common for the internal temp of the meat to swing 10-15* plus and minus, or is it possible I've gotten snow or moisture in my thermometer and it's having a fit?

It happens. Wouldn't worry about it.

that drop goes beyond a small plateau or drop in temp during the stall, imo. agree on checking the location of the probe, or something with the probe itself. i'd get a second opinion with another trusted thermometer. it's possible your brisket is nearly done at this point if you were at 184* an hour ago...in which case the probe test should let you know where you stand.

One day I'm gonna "roll a la a Smitty" but it will probably be because my 2 DOTS are kaput. In all honesty, I use one to monitor my UDS grate temp (I gave my old 12" turkey thermometer to a buddy) and one for brisket and brisket only (after it's wrapped to tell me when I need to poke it for tenderness/doneness)

May give it a shot - going sans meat probe on the next brisket... if it eff it up, it'd be the first one and if I don't- it'd be zen as hell :grin:

I fiddled with relocating the probe (also doing some probing at the same time) and I think I may have been in fat or something... got it to stabilize and pulled it at 200*... Now its in the oven at 170* (as low as my oven allows me to set it) wrapped in butcher paper and resting/holding for the next 3 hours or so... this is where my patience gets tested and ultimately rewarded, because the house smells so damn good right now I want to cut into it and EAT!!!

Back