MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
B C BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Contradiction within the KCBS Meat Inspection Guide

There was some discussion of this in a thread about pre-trimming. I thought it might get better discussion in a thread of its own on the basis of pre-injection.

From the KCBS Meat Inspections Guide

1. No pre­seasoned meat is allowed other than manufacturer-enhanced or injected products as stated on the label excluding but not limited to: teriyaki, lemon pepper or butter injected. All meats must be raw when inspected.

2. The meats do not have to be in the original packaging and may be trimmed prior to meat inspection, but no meat may be seasoned, injected or cooked prior to the inspect ion.

These two guidelines are contradictory to each other. Some "manufacturers" inject their meats with non flavor injections for tenderness(phosphates). Farmland Foods extra tender ribs states this:
"Deep BastedTM by addition of up to 7% of a solution of water, sodium phosphates"

Guideline 2 would say this is allowed. Guideline 3 says in bold "BUT NO MEAT MAY BE SEASONED, INJECTED OR COOKED prior to the inspection."

So which one is it? If you show up with some of these ribs that have holes in them can you use them?
Does using a manufacturer pre-injected product give a competitor an unfair advantage? Does the injection perform better over a longer period of time?

Those two guidelines are clearly contradictory. Anyone??

Old 05-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I think you may have missed this part of the first rule that you quoted...

"No pre­seasoned meat is allowed other than manufacturer-enhanced or injected products as stated on the label"

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B C BBQ View Post
There was some discussion of this in a thread about pre-trimming. I thought it might get better discussion in a thread of its own on the basis of pre-injection.

Guideline 3 says in bold "BUT NO MEAT MAY BE SEASONED, INJECTED OR COOKED prior to the inspection.
Guideline 3 probably should also say (other than manufacturer-enhanced or injected products).

While those pumped farmland ribs are indeed legal, I wouldnt use them!
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

There are much better things to pick on the KCBS Board of Directors about than this...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
There are much better things to pick on the KCBS Board of Directors about than this...
I'm missing the part where there was any picking on the KCBS BOD

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:

Exactly
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
I'm missing the part where there was any picking on the KCBS BOD
You're over thinking the quote. Or I didn't explain myself properly. I only meant if someone were to bring it up as a contradiction before the board.

It's early here in California and I have not had my my donut yet...

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Exactly

Scottie got it!

Email me for details.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #9
B C BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

No intention of picking on the BOD for any of this especially in light of all the crapola that has been going on lately.
I fully read the part that said "as stated on the label".
Why should a manufacturer injection be allowed but not a competitor injection?
I believe the first guideline in spirit is speaking about seasoning. It uses the words "excluded but not limited to" which would give any inspector wiggle room for judgement.
Guideline 3 says "no meat may be seasoned, INJECTED or cooked prior to inspection".
So what's the difference?

Old 05-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by B C BBQ View Post
Why should a manufacturer injection be allowed but not a competitor injection?
When big manufacturers began processing entire market segments this way, some cooks who rely on grocery-store meat would have been hard-pressed to find un-"enhanced" meat. Since the manufacturer's pump doesn't change flavor significantly or give any advantage in texture and would be awfully hard to prove or disprove once out of the package, manufacturer's solutions (other than flavors such as teriyaki etc.) are deemed a non-factor.

A competitor's injection is allowed after the playing field has been theoretically leveled -- i.e., after inspection at the contest in a time frame reasonably shared by all cooks in attendance.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

The reason for the leniency is that in some areas it is difficult or even impossible to find meat that has not been "enhanced" by the packer. Chicken is a good example - there are only a very few processors that air cool their poultry. Most use a chilled water bath, and many add salts to that water. The purpose is the chicken will absorb some of this liquid, which makes for more profit for the seller as water is cheaper than meat. (Some will argue the process improves the juiciness of the chicken, hence the "enhanced" label, but make no mistake, the primary motive is profit.)

Those of us who serve as meat inspectors clearly understand the difference between "solution" and "flavoring". If you bought Walmart ribs that include 10% salt water, that's acceptable, but if you bring a pack with Dale's added at the factory you're going to be sent to the store to buy some legal ribs.

Last edited by Gowan; 05-26-2010 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: Diva and I posted simultaneously. Ditto what she said!
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #12
B C BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Not sure how to do the blue box quote thing but this is from Diva

"Since the manufacturer's pump doesn't change flavor significantly or give any advantage in texture and would be awfully hard to prove or disprove once out of the package, manufacturer's solutions (other than flavors such as teriyaki etc.) are deemed a non-factor."

I would think that a sodium phosphate solution injection would have considerable effect on the meat regarding texture. If it didn't why would all these competitors be spending money on things like Fab, Butcher's etc?

I agree that it is difficult to find unaltered products in many parts due to what Civil War said regarding pumping for profit. Farmland's ribs are pumped for tenderness/texture, not "plumped". So where do you draw the line? Salt Water? Chicken Flavored Salt Water? Artificially Flavored Pork Water? Sodium Phosphates??

Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Commercially-"enhanced" meat is treated that way because it's inferior to begin with. The pump is intended to bring it up to a level for sale at the broadest level of distribution -- the net effect is just not a significant factor in competition.

KCBS has drawn the line exactly as stated in the meat inspection guidelines -- at added flavors.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Quote:
You're over thinking the quote.
Not sure there is much to over think there. Struck me as a comment that added nothing to this thread.

John may be over thinking things though and I think Civil War did a good job answering his question.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #15
B C BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Overthinking? Maybe. It is in print in a KCBS Guideline though. If all the inspectors are in line with Civil Wars thought process, then there probably isn't much concern. As long as my supply chain keeps me in line with unadulterated food then I am fine because I don't want to be using manufactured injected anything.
I think when I was reading it really made me wonder about the length of time some of these products are injected for and how that might effect "leveling the playing field".

Off to play with some soft shell crabs, bacon and avocado...