• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How do you feel?

FatBoyz

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Ok this is a Question about how do you feel about comps that do not allow you to bring in your own booz be it beer or liquer. I.E. the comp in the Wi Dells. i am told thay are charging $18 dollers for a case of beer. am told that is there cost. i find that hard to belive.
Ok here are my thought 1st i am not competing in the dells i cant .. But i would have if i could have. But I dont think it is good to ask competetor to have to by your beer after all the other costs that thay ae putting out... and i have friends that are sponserd by brerys and part of there sponsership is giving out free beer to other competitors... and we are talking about a case of beer not a pallet...and i also know the red cup rules... but that is breaking there rules... it is a sticky wicket to be shure...

Auther note this is not a tread for fighting it is for your opinin and everyone has one... play nice... thanks folks

I think it's one of those things that they can't avoid. They have a license to protect, I believe they've said that.
To me it's real simple. If you have a problem with that don't go. If you are OK with it then go.
I'd probably buy their beer and go.

$18 isn't any more than I'm paying at a store for a case so it doesn't sound like a profit reason. If it's to keep a competition sponsor happy and to protect future sponsorship, I understand why. Reality is that they will have a difficult time enforcing (unless they are checking all coolers, how would they?) - See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil = red cup

If the sponsor is not my brand of choice it's highly possible I'd pack my own along with some cups and go. I enjoy a few of my favorites at a comp while I get out to socialize, but I don't generally drink near as many on Friday night as I once did when I started competing. Thursday night might be another story.

Assuming the reason is sponsorship, I'd play happy and be happy that the comp existed.

Last edited:
I really don't drink much if any at all so it wouldn't bother me. However, I don't like the idea that I have to buy their beer. I don't know all of the details, but does it really matter if I'm drinking beer I brought from home or drinking beer they sold me? Drinking beer = drinking beer.

If their requirement is no beer, then you have to live with their rules. NOW if they didn't tell you before you signed up and they are only letting you know this after your check has cleared. I'd have a problem with that. Just as I would have a problem if they didn't tell you that you can't leave after rewards. If it is for the safety of the festival folks, then they need to make arrangements for those that have to get out, are able to pull out. Honestly, I would be more pissed about that, than the beer deal. I can understand the beer deal and them not knowing about the liquor license. But not knowing that teams can't pull out after rewards? There is no excuse for that...

I would pay 18 bucks per case of bottles all day long. One less thing to tote.

What would annoy me more would be the inability to bring a bottle of wine for Friday's Porterhouse dinner or a bottle of Jack for the evening/midnight/morning/turn-in time shot(s).

If their requirement is no beer, then you have to live with their rules. NOW if they didn't tell you before you signed up and they are only letting you know this after your check has cleared. I'd have a problem with that. Just as I would have a problem if they didn't tell you that you can't leave after rewards. If it is for the safety of the festival folks, then they need to make arrangements for those that have to get out, are able to pull out. Honestly, I would be more pissed about that, than the beer deal. I can understand the beer deal and them not knowing about the liquor license. But not knowing that teams can't pull out after rewards? There is no excuse for that...

thinkin of just drivin over em after turn ins if we do any good they can mail it

It would be a problem for me so I probably would not cook that event. Mainly because I average about three to four beers for an entire contest these days and usually only a lucky shot with everyone on Saturday morning. If I had to buy a case of beer just to drink three or four, I'd probably pass.

I agree with KC BOBBY, i'd pay $18 for a case and give that to any visiters and bring my own :becky:

This is my biggest issue. I can live without alcohol if i have to (barely :-D) and I can take a nap while waiting to leave, but not knowing this info before paying bothers me more than the issues.

I just figure its not worth getting my panties in a wad over. Do I wish they had communicated more clearly regarding carry-ins and departure times? Yes. Would it have changed my feelings about attending? No. I am willing to write off the lack of communication as the tribulations of a first year organizer. While I can empathize with teams that have a longer commute, or were planning on entertaining guests/sponsors............there are still 10,000 plus reasons to be there.

I just figure its not worth getting my panties in a wad over. Do I wish they had communicated more clearly regarding carry-ins and departure times? Yes. Would it have changed my feelings about attending? No. I am willing to write off the lack of communication as the tribulations of a first year organizer. While I can empathize with teams that have a longer commute, or were planning on entertaining guests/sponsors............there are still 10,000 plus reasons to be there.

Ya got a point ther brother :clap2:

Has anyone asked for their money back? What was the reply?

Ray ,I had several lengthy discussions with her and I dont believe she would give a nickel back to her own Momma. I think that the most of the folks who are not happy with the 37 other rules she handed out after our checks were cashed would have grumbled a little but still entered had they known this before .A few would not have but I think most would of. I guess it is what it is.

Getting back to the beer question, it doesn't bother me. Drink little if any at a contest so I really don't care. On one hand I like it because it makes it less likely to put up with drunks at 3:30am like I did last weekend. On the other hand, I think it would be good to support the contest. With so many up in the air you got to take what contest you can and support them.

That's a steal compared to the $35 per case we have to pay at the big Rodeo events down here.

As stated before, what ticked me off was being notified after they got the checks/applications.

I can live without the beer, not a huge problem, I may in fact buy a case just for all the others that come by. What got me was the whole check out thing. It feels like I have to bring a note to get out early... What's next, do I have to raise my hand to go to the john?

While she does seem to want to work things out, I'm having serious thoughts that this might not only be our first comp there, but also our last unless things change drastically. As for getting our money back, I got the free ride at the banquet so no money changed hands. Knowing what I know now though, I wouldn't have traded for it like I did.

Getting back to the beer question, it doesn't bother me. Drink little if any at a contest so I really don't care. On one hand I like it because it makes it less likely to put up with drunks at 3:30am like I did last weekend.

Ah... But they aren't saying no beer. They are saying you can't bring your own, you have to buy ours due to liquor license restrictions. So there is no guarantee that you wouldn't have to deal with drunks at 3:00am. In fact, with the entertainment going until 1:00am it is probably more likely that there will be drunks wandering around at 3:00am.

Back