MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
bluegrass smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Default How long does wood need to dry out?

I cut some limbs off a pear tree this afternoon and Im cooking this weekend
Wondering if I can use it?
thanks
bluegrass smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Usually about 6 months. Were these live limbs? If they were dead you could use them right away. You could try a little piece and see what type of smoke is produced. If it makes thin blue then go ahead and use it.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Pre heat it
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I have snapped them off the pear tree and used them numerous times with no problems. It will make more smoke for longer, so just use less of it than you would if it was dry.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Mix it with some dry wood and you should be fine. I actually like to get any of the newer woods I stumble across and use them during the pre-heating stage as there's no meat in the chamber yet. This way you save your seasoned stuff for during the cook.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Fat Woody
is one Smokin' Farker

^^ What he said^^
Owner/Operator of: Superior "Stealth" SS2, Brinkmann "Lefty" Bandera clone (retired), Comalco Black Dog grill, and various Weber kettles.
World's fastest [B]Belgian/Cuban Racing Yellow[/B] thermapen.
Fat Woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuyawk View Post
Mix it with some dry wood and you should be fine. I actually like to get any of the newer woods I stumble across and use them during the pre-heating stage as there's no meat in the chamber yet. This way you save your seasoned stuff for during the cook.

So you use the wet/green wood in the smoker just to dry it out? when time to cook you remove the wood and set it aside? Do you actually use that same wood your drying at the same cook?

Old 10-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I think that what he means is that he uses the green wood in warm up phase for the smoker to burn off the moisture in it so if it puts off a bitter smoke, it won't ruin the meat, but the coals that remain after it burns down will still provide heat.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Last I checked Myron Mixon uses the freshest peach he can. I've used pear cut off the tree that morning and cooked for the food editor/restaurant critic for the St. Louis Post Dispatch that afternoon. That guy has a seriously good palette. He didn't notice a difference.I will say that it took a little longer to smoke, being wet, but otherwise it was fine.

The notion that wood has to be dried out is a false one. We assume that, because by the time we get all our smoke wood it's already dried. Doesn't mean it has to be.

Don't sweat using the fresh wood this weekend.
GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

When using a few pieces for a whole smoke I don't think it matter what you use
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillinFool View Post
Last I checked Myron Mixon uses the freshest peach he can. I've used pear cut off the tree that morning and cooked for the food editor/restaurant critic for the St. Louis Post Dispatch that afternoon. That guy has a seriously good palette. He didn't notice a difference.I will say that it took a little longer to smoke, being wet, but otherwise it was fine.

The notion that wood has to be dried out is a false one. We assume that, because by the time we get all our smoke wood it's already dried. Doesn't mean it has to be.

Don't sweat using the fresh wood this weekend.
I think that it depends on what wood you're using. Fruit woods are fine to use green IMO. However, some thing like hickory, I've tried to use green and it didn't work out so well.

A couple of reasons Myrons method works is because it is peach wood (a very mild smoke to begin with) and he cooks at a much higher temp which affects how much smoke the wood is putting off.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #12
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

I think context is everything. I cook on an offset. So using the green wood during the heating up stage i.e. burning wood to preheat my pit makes sense. Even if it doesn't give an off flavor, making greenwood into coals is a royal pain in the arse. It takes forever to burn and your temperature in the pit gets inconsistent if you're burning green wood all the way thru.

In a charcoal smoker like what Myron Mixon uses, that's a different story. His wood is for flavor alone and there isn't that much of it to make a significant difference because he has his lighter fluid pee'd on charcoals to support it.

If you're cooking old pit style then it really doesn't make a difference as you're burning the wood down to coals to begin with.

So it's not that Myron is "breaking the rules", he's just using what's good for his cooker.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuyawk View Post
I think context is everything. I cook on an offset. So using the green wood during the heating up stage i.e. burning wood to preheat my pit makes sense. Even if it doesn't give an off flavor, making greenwood into coals is a royal pain in the arse. It takes forever to burn and your temperature in the pit gets inconsistent if you're burning green wood all the way thru.

In a charcoal smoker like what Myron Mixon uses, that's a different story. His wood is for flavor alone and there isn't that much of it to make a significant difference because he has his lighter fluid pee'd on charcoals to support it.

If you're cooking old pit style then it really doesn't make a difference as you're burning the wood down to coals to begin with.

So it's not that Myron is "breaking the rules", he's just using what's good for his cooker.
Are you saying that lighter fluid impacts his flavor profile?
GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote