MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #1
crabjoe
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Dae
Default WSM 18 - How much coal for seasoning?

Never used a smoker but have the WSM 18. I'm in the process of getting it seasoned and wanted to know how much coal to put into it.

I started with 1 Weber chimney full of coal. I figured it would be enough to season it. Didn't want it buring for 5 or 6 hours.

One chimney of Western Lump coal burning for 20 mins has the built-in temp gauge running at 300. All vents are open.

Will it get hotter than 300 or should I add more coal? Will 300 be enough heat to get it seasoned?

I'm unsure exactly where I stand right now.

Thanks!
crabjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-10-2020, 08:09 PM   #2
LloydQ
is One Chatty Farker

No need to season a WSM. Cook something.
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-10-2020, 08:17 PM   #3
crabjoe
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydQ View Post
No need to season a WSM. Cook something.
I'm going to disagree.. There's some kind of coating on the grates that I feel, and IMHO, it either needs to be burned off or washed off.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:26 PM   #4
Smokie185
Full Fledged Farker

I think you are good to go. Time to start cooking.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:24 PM   #5
KB BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

First cook? Cook a fatty, it's tradition around here and it gives your new smoker good luck.
LSG Offset Cabinet on order and ready to be shipped.

KB BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #6
charrederhead
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Pete

The residue on the grates can be washed off in the sink, with Dawn.

Otherwise, just start cooking.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:37 PM   #7
Q_Done_Right
On the road to being a farker

No need to season the new WSM!
Q_Done_Right is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2020, 10:04 PM   #8
crabjoe
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB BBQ View Post
First cook? Cook a fatty, it's tradition around here and it gives your new smoker good luck.
I've got a 10 lbs picnic shoulder in the fridge. I'm hoping to cook it tomorrow, and Thanks!

Old 08-10-2020, 11:15 PM   #9
dward51
Full Fledged Farker

X4 on no real reason to season a WSM. Body is hard coated inside and out and the racks/grates just need a wash to get the manufacturing residue off them. Then cook something. Fattie or chicken wings work great (fattie low and slow, and wings hot). Your call....
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2020, 11:19 PM   #10
crabjoe
Got Wood.

Went out to check the progress... I think I need to do it again with more coals for more heat.

The temp had dropped to 200F, so I opened up the panel to look at the coals.. There were still a few coals left, but what struck me was the smell.

Opening the panel, I got a good whiff of what smelled like burning petroleum. Yup, it smelled like gas or something along those lines.. Whatever it is, and I doubt it was the coals, since the coals smelled fine, isn't done burning off... I think it's going to need to burn much hotter than 300F...

Old 08-10-2020, 11:20 PM   #11
dward51
Full Fledged Farker

One tip I will give you for the WSM (really any wood or charcoal fired smoker). When making a temp adjustment, make it in small airflow increments and then WAIT. Give the fire time to adjust to the change in air flow. Fire takes a while to either choke down or flare up depending on if you closed a vent a little or opened one up a little. Give it at least 15 minutes before you even think about touching anything. Otherwise you can end up chasing a yo-yo temp swing down and up if you don't get the fire time to react fully. It's not rocket science, but you do need patience when making temp adjustments. Once a WSM is steady, it will usually stay rock steady at that temp. And later if you discover the world of "power drafts" such as the BBQ Guru and other computer controlled air flow devices, it's almost as automatic as setting the indoor oven (and stays at the set temp as long as there is fuel to burn).
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:21 AM   #12
Kracken
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Paul

I had about the same issue with my first burnout. I filled a chimney with kbb, and it didnt quite get to 350f before dropping, I just opened the side door and tossed a few/bunch more handfuls of kbb on top, and she shot right past 350f for a few hrs.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:06 AM   #13
TC Smoke & Que
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

I went with a half basket of Charcoal and left the vents open till 350 then adjusted and kept it 350+/- until the fire died and temp dropped below 200. The grates were not in, nor the water bowl. After that, I just started cooking, Break In Fatty first!
TC Smoke & Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2020, 06:06 AM   #14
HouseDoc
Full Fledged Farker

I bought mine used. No seasoning required.
HouseDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2020, 07:54 AM   #15
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

No need to waste charcoal seasoning a WSM.

Wash the grates if you must.