Natural Gas Weed Burner

kennedyma

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Anybody seen a natural gas weed burner? I have a NG hookup right next to my smoker that was used for an old gasser that I sold. I do have a propane tank but I hate to have to drag it out for every use, a NG torch would be much better.

I haven't been able to find one though, anybody seen one?

Not really practical to drag out into a field , on to a paving job or up on a roof. Not sure if they are even made

LP is pressurized. so Modification would make for a dangerous proposition.

Got another idea. What about a naked side burner of sorts? I could put the burner in where the charcoal goes to pre heat the smoker and then I could use the burner as a side burner when needed. No mutli tasking.

I found a picture of the burner below but have no clue where to buy it. The site I got it from says it's dual gas Propane and Natural Gas. That would be the best of both worlds.

2011-12-23.png

To be honest, what specifically are you looking to use it for. I haven't used my weed burner in years, as it is just easier to use a Weber lighter cube and a few pieces of charcoal to light my stick burner, and a chimney starter (with lighter cube, or newspaper/oil drizzle to light) for my charcoal applications. Also, you can use a turkey fryer burner for almost any lighting purpose, and just need to get a NG regulator (a generic one like the one off your old grill). It will take a little bit more time than propane, but still works well.

I'm looking for a solution that I can use to pre-heat my Backwoods Gater. The problem is I live in the west burbs of Chicago, thus it gets cold up here. The other day it was 23 deg. when I fired up the smoker and that's not that cold.

I used two weber starter cubes but by the time it was warm I had used 5lbs of charcoal and 1.25 hours getting it up to temp. I used hot tap water in the pan, I could try boiling it but I don't like transporting 3-4 gallons of hot water.

I was thinking if I could find a natural gas burner I could put that in the firebox light it off and let it warm up the smoker. Then pull the burner put in the charcoal and light it with a cube and let it come up to temp.

Yeah... I ususually bank on an hour between lighting the fire, and putting the meat on the smoker. And 1.5 hours is a bit much. With that said, I like the idea of having an NG burner in the firebox for preheat and starting. It would have to be removable due to the ashes, but that would let probably help get things sped up a little.

With many appliances all you do is swap out the orifice to go from propane to natural gas..... maybe weed burners is the same thing? The first gas grill my parents had in the 60's was hooked into natural gas.

Back