Full packer on my primo xl

Tony A

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm pretty good with buttes and shoulders turkey legs and other stuff but now I want to attemp a full brisket on my new primo xl I want to know set up such as drip pan water pan inject it or not temps when to start probing basically a full step by step on how to go about this project for a fall apart juicy amazing brisket on this new cooker

Please help brethren!!!!

You shouldn't need a water pan, and for the first one I would keep it simple. Trim the hard fat, leave the fat cap intact (maybe trim to 1/4"), rub it, cook it indirect at 260-270, fat cap down. It will take 60-75 minutes per pound as a rough estimate.

I start checking for done at around 190 internal and go by feel. Probe the flat and the point will take care of itself. Cook it until your probe in the thickest part of the flat goes in with little to no resistance.

Once it probes tender wrap it in a couple of layers of heavy duty foil and let it rest in a dry, preheated cooler insulated with some clean towels or newspaper for a couple of hours.

I have never cooked on a flower pot but Brisket is Brisket.
Trim all the hard fat
Thin the fat cap to 1/4"
Apply your rub I like 50/50 k salt & black pepper
Get the cooker to 300
Fat cap down
After 4 hrs wrap the brisket in a single layer of Butcher Paper
and go back on fat cap up
after 1.5 hrs start checking the flat for probe tender(hse a parring knife and make a small hole to probe through)
once the flat is probe tender put the brisket on a sheet pan and sit it on the counter top, Put a thermo in the flat when the IT drops to 150 it is ready to carve

Adding to Ron's excellent advice, use a simple 50/50 Kosher salt and coarse black pepper rub this first smoke.

Special way to slice it with grain against grain and how do I figure and mark grain while the meat is raw so I know how to carve properly when fully cooked ?

The grain is easier to see when it is raw, so find the grain in the flat and at one corner take off a piece so you have an edge that is perpendicular to the grain. Then cut parallel to that edge when it's time to slice it

Great advice here. Good luck brotha, practice brisket more then any meat and it will all comes together, don't go on temp go on feel.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Back