She ain’t air tight

jkief

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Got the new Assassin 48” and got the first cook under the belt. First impressions are amazing. For the money, it will do everything you ask it to do. A few things I can really nitpick if I wanted, but that can be said about anything (even me:becky:). One thing I noticed though, the right side where the gas strut is, the door isn’t air tight. Noticed smoke leaking out pretty bad right there. I’m thinking over time as the strut wears in and the gasket wears, that will go away. Either way, not a big deal to me and doesn’t change my opinion of the cooker or quality. It’s a BEAST.

Last edited:
Congrats Jeffry Assassin Grills are pretty badass. :thumb:

Those are one of favorite grills/smokers. Congrats! She's purdy.

nice! once about I time I lusted for an Assasin, Enjoy

Congrats!
A leaky door would bother me, congrats on being more easy going as well!

-D

Congrats!
A leaky door would bother me, congrats on being more easy going as well!

-D

As long as I can control the temps, it’s not that big of a deal to me. I’ll reach out to Jeff and see what he says.

They are a good company I really think if you reach out to them they will make things right.
They are awesome cookers I see a couple here and there on the KCBS trail.

Jeff’s response when I reached out to him...” The gap should go away. Keep an eye on it for a few more cooks and see what happens”. I think when the strut breaks in a little and loosens up, it will go away.

That sounds like good advice.

I should also contact Jeff at Assassin to find out which strut/shock he is using. I recently have had my cook chamber door slam closed from the open position and I think the strut needs to be replaced.

Enjoy the 48!

Assassins look similar to Tiernan SOB’s with sloped door. I had the 48”
And lid was heavy. Wife couldn’t deal with it. Once it warped a bit after 20+ years I hung a bungee cord and weight and it got tight. It was quite good at sealing itself too. Assassin has a lot of innovation that is awesome over the SOB. I currently have the 34” and sold the 48” to a Quail Hunting Outfit.

Last edited:
That sounds like good advice.

I should also contact Jeff at Assassin to find out which strut/shock he is using. I recently have had my cook chamber door slam closed from the open position and I think the strut needs to be replaced.

Enjoy the 48!

I honestly think it will seal up. Mine says STABILUS OEM Replacement if that helps any.

Back