• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

LSG Cabinet vs. Shirley Prototype

WhitesideJC

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Brethren,

I’m in the process of narrowing down options for a stick burner. I’ve been using my modified cinder block cooker as a stick burner, which helped me realize I enjoy tending fires, but ideally I’d have a cooker that’s a little more efficient and I can stow away vs. taking up the relatively limited space in the backyard.

I’m most often cooking for a group of 4-8, but I do several big cooks throughout the year (parties for 30-40 folks, and then a few big fundraisers where I’m cooking upwards of 16 butts). So, I’d like to have a cooker that gives me the flexibility with capacity, but also don’t need to be overkill.

This brings me to two options that I’ve been eyeing – the new Shirley Patio Prototype and the LSG Cabinet Smokers. I have the fortunate situation where my company offers a bonus at our 10 year mark where they give us a certain dollar amount to go towards a gift (can’t just get the money).

Anywho – this is where I currently stand. I honestly thought it was a done deal with the Shirley Prototype, but I’ve found myself talking myself into the LSG due to the larger capacity and potential warming box option. I know there’s as post about the LSG 20x42 vs. Shirley patio, so this is a bit of a different animal comparing the Cabinet vs. Shirley Prototype.

What do y’all think? Anything I’m missing here that I’ve compiled? I see the warming box as additional flexibility with the cooker, but maybe it’s not 100% necessary.

Shirley
Pros:
  • It’s a Shirley – bringing the build quality that they’re known for.
  • Relatively cheaper vs. LSG
Cons:
  • Smaller in capacity
  • No warmer, if deciding to go that route

LSG:
Pros:
  • Larger Capacity
  • Can go with the warmer box to add some more versatility
Cons:
  • More $$, especially with the warmer box add-on. Would also need to get off road package.

They both have outstanding quality built smokers. You will love ether one. Pick one and do not look back.

How are the wait times between the two?

So I'm looking at June 2020, meaning I have some flexibility with wait times. LSG is somehwere in the 2-3 month range, and then they say the Shirley Prototype will not have a wait time (meaning I can submit a deposit now and hold my June 2020 spot).

Net: doesn't really factor in, should have mentioned that in my original post.

If you wanted a Shirley double cabinet door patio model with a warmer St. Louis BBQ store has one in stock finally.

Back