Offset Smoker Build.

The firebox is just sitting there for now. The stand couldn't get high enough. The top of the firebox will sit around grill height. It's the first time I've assesmbled the parts to get an idea of the proportions.

I've been looking through a few smoker calculators but haven't workout the optimal size yet.

I Googled a conversion for mm to inches - says that is roughly 20" diameter by 40" Long - Looks bigger diameter in pics.

Those dimensions are correct. Probalby the angle/lens of the iPhone.

The firebox is just sitting there for now. The stand couldn't get high enough. The top of the firebox will sit around grill height. It's the first time I've assesmbled the parts to get an idea of the proportions.

I've been looking through a few smoker calculators but haven't workout the optimal size yet.

Yup, Top of Firebox at grate height. A half circle about 4-5" tall at middle about 10-12" long Sounds about Right........at the bottom of the cook chamber you want some wall so grease can't run into the firebox........

The cooking grate at 42" will be Fine - matter of personal preference - I like it Higher than most smokers are - Only Issue is- Can you Raise the door Fully Open with it that High.? Or you could make it cabinet front........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epLUoJFjbok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxrE5omU0kI

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds about right. I'm just trying to get the size of the frame done before working on the chamber and firebox.

The dimensions are correct. Probably looks skewed from the angle and iPhone camera.

The cabinet front looks cool but a bit more work than I'm planning at the moment. I'll be able to lift it high enough and I'll add a counter weight to assist in lifting and keeping it open.

Keep up the good work.:thumb: Took me over a year to build mine and have never finished the warming racks.

Firebox and one end cap welded on. I might have done it in an odd order but we will see. Next up will be to calcuate and cut the hole for the firebox to main chamber opening. After that, weld the firebox to the main chamber and get it on the stand to fit the chimney and then cut the door..

People who weld for a living must be troopers. This stuff is hard to keep it consistent. It's probably some of the neatest welding I've done - plenty of practice to learn a bit more.

Any opinions on whether a top firebox door is needed?

Attachments

• Capture3.jpg
    Capture3.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 465
  • Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 471
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 466
These smoker build threads are the best. On the edge of my seat... :clap:

Let us know how the door cutout process goes. Seem like that's where the warping and problems come in to play from what I have read.

Let us know how the door cutout process goes. Seem like that's where the warping and problems come in to play from what I have read.

Yeah, thats the part I'll be most nervous about. I'll set up some guides and make sure they're clamped really well. It's thick steel so hopefully it shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, thats the part I'll be most nervous about. I'll set up some guides and make sure they're clamped really well. It's thick steel so hopefully it shouldn't be an issue.

If you leave end cap off, mark your doors and cut slots at corners, you can go in from ends and weld in bracing, then finish your cuts. I’ve never cut doors in pipe or a tank, but seen people say cut it in small sections/runs to minimize Heat/Warpage........? Or cut all but a few inches in the corners, add strapping, then finish cutting......

Last edited:
And the firebox door is cut. I used a CNC router to create my templates for the plasma cutter. Sometimes my cutting looks perfect, other times it looks pretty messy. Nothing a bit of welding and some grinding can't fix. I made up some simple hinges using a metal lathe (could've bought some tube steel but this didn't take too long and used what was on hand). Aaron franklin has a pretty good video on hinges for his smoker build. Next up will be to finish the intake vent, weld the hinges on fully and add some steel to the inside of the firebox to block up the door gaps.

Once that's done, it's onto welding the firebox to cook chamber and installing it on the frame.

Attachments

• IMG-9818.jpg
    IMG-9818.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG-9816.jpg
    IMG-9816.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 534
  • 57991902795--5FA6BF0B-4D0A-4893-AAD0-46E6FB09B0B1.jpg
    57991902795--5FA6BF0B-4D0A-4893-AAD0-46E6FB09B0B1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG-9813.jpg
    IMG-9813.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG-9810.jpg
    IMG-9810.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
Looks good. Just a recommendation that I recently did....close the door and weld the bottom back to the door and cut out the door all the way to the bottom. It will make sweeping and scoping out all the ashes WAY easier! The lip at the bottom is a pita to get ash over. Keep up the great work!

Looks good. Just a recommendation that I recently did....close the door and weld the bottom back to the door and cut out the door all the way to the bottom. It will make sweeping and scoping out all the ashes WAY easier! The lip at the bottom is a pita to get ash over. Keep up the great work!

You're not wrong. I made the mistake of welding the door plate on too soon. I was rushing to get it done. If I had of thought about it, I would have welded the plate on and left the bottom section un-welded and cut the door that way.

If it turns out to be an PITA, it's just a weld and grind away.

A bit of a picture update for the door. Could be good, could be bad. Hopefully on the good side. I've come up with my version of the door and dampener. It was based on a bunch of threads a while ago on the Yoder Witchita smoker door. I made a few changes along the way, added in some flatbar on the edges to stop it falling in and minimise leaks and whatnot. The fire grate will sit around where the black arrows are on the last picture. It should get some good airflow at that point.

My planning went astray and the damper doesn't fully close with about a 25mm (1") gap on the left side. If it works, all good - if not, it's a bit of effort to redesign the door and dampener. The dampener will be held in place with a spring handle under a slight bit of tension. If anyone has a neat and tidy way of doing that, I'd love to see it.

After this, I'll sort out a door latch, hit it with the flap disk and weld it to the fire box.

https://youtu.be/8upVnmHfKM4

Attachments

• IMG-9837.jpg
    IMG-9837.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG-9838.jpg
    IMG-9838.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG-9839.jpg
    IMG-9839.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG-9840.jpg
    IMG-9840.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
It's alive!! Sort of. Got the firebox welded on and the whole thing attached to the frame. It actually moves around fairly easily because firebox helps to balance it.

I'm about to cut the smokestack parts. I've done a quick sketch based on Aaron Franklin's builds. Before I go and cut the parts for the smokestack, does this seem like it will be ok?

Attachments

• IMG_9871.jpg
    IMG_9871.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_9876.jpg
    IMG_9876.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 420
Back