MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #166
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Rwalters, In addition to Tom B’s question on the cleaning process, could you please share your best programmed cooks for ribs, chicken, pulled pork, and brisket. I know you have yours dialed in so I’d like to cheat and use your numbers.

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 03-01-2020 at 10:49 AM..
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #167
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
rwalters would you min repeating your cleaning process you put up a week or so ago, I ordered the products you suggested, they came yesterday. TIA

Of course!

Key items needed:
-Damp microfiber towel
-SD-20 for everyday cleaning
-Break-Up for the TOUGH occasional cleaning

Every cook cleaning:
After each cook, while the MAK is still warm to the touch, I spray down the stainless with the SD-20 and then proceed to wipe down with the damp microfiber towel. After that I rinse the towel and give it one last wipe down to remove any residue. Time spent on wipe down is maybe 3 mins.

Once in awhile cleaning:
While the MAK is still warm to the touch, I will spray any super tough spots with the Break-Up cleaner. Be careful to keep this spray on the stainless only. Quickly wipe away any overspray from the powder coating. Let it sit on the warm stainless for maybe a minute and proceed to wipe away stains with the damp microfiber towel. Just like the SD-20, rinse towel and give it a final wipe down.

IMPORTANT: Stainless must be fairly warm to the touch when cleaning. The difference is night and day.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #168
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
Rwalters, In addition to Tom B’s question on the cleaning process, could you please share your best programmed cooks for ribs, chicken, pulled pork, and brisket. I know you have yours dialed in so I’d like to cheat and use your numbers.

Honestly, I never use the “programs” as I am more of a “turn it on and cook” kinda guy. I do monitor and control my cooks via WiFi all the time. I also use temp probes that are connected to the Pellet Boss quite often. I can tell you that for low n slow cooks (butts, ribs, brisket, etc) I love doing most of the cook at 210° with the food on the upper grate. I will often bump to 250-275 at the end to finish things up if I need to meet a certain timeline. Love the results. All of this could easily be handled through a set program, but I just prefer to touch the buttons myself... lol. If you are one that wants to set and use programs, the skies the limit with the Pellet Boss controller. You can run up to 3 different programs, and each program can pretty much accommodate whatever you can think up. Highly programmable. Like any cooker, it’ll take a few cooks to figure out your preferences, but once that’s done, it’s smooth and EASY sailing with the MAK :)

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-01-2020, 01:09 PM   #169
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
I’m calling tomorrow. Had to spend a couple days convincing the wife.

I bought my pit boss and my 22 WSM without mentioning it, but getting a $3k smoker without even seeing one in person is another thing.
Completely understandable. Luckily I didn't need the cooking space. Of course I could live to regret that decision later. Also, I think I'm too lazy to keep the SS looking nice. My non-SS Pellet Pro still looks great. Only wipe the dust off when it builds up too much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2020, 03:36 PM   #170
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Honestly, I never use the “programs” as I am more of a “turn it on and cook” kinda guy. I do monitor and control my cooks via WiFi all the time. I also use temp probes that are connected to the Pellet Boss quite often. I can tell you that for low n slow cooks (butts, ribs, brisket, etc) I love doing most of the cook at 210° with the food on the upper grate. I will often bump to 250-275 at the end to finish things up if I need to meet a certain timeline. Love the results. All of this could easily be handled through a set program, but I just prefer to touch the buttons myself... lol. If you are one that wants to set and use programs, the skies the limit with the Pellet Boss controller. You can run up to 3 different programs, and each program can pretty much accommodate whatever you can think up. Highly programmable. Like any cooker, it’ll take a few cooks to figure out your preferences, but once that’s done, it’s smooth and EASY sailing with the MAK :)
Why the upper grate for low/slow? What happens with low/slow on the lower grate? Is it just a cleanup function?
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2020, 04:14 PM   #171
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post
Why the upper grate for low/slow? What happens with low/slow on the lower grate? Is it just a cleanup function?
I do it because I'm lazy and it makes cleanup easier, if I have a smoke that only requires 1 grate it goes on the top with a pan on the bottom grate to catch drippings and grease.

WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2020, 04:56 PM   #172
pjtexas1

Well now I wish I would have ordered the upper grate. Maybe not. I cook in pans mostly. I should have enough headroom for that, right?

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])

Old 03-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #173
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Well now I wish I would have ordered the upper grate. Maybe not. I cook in pans mostly. I should have enough headroom for that, right?

You’ll have more than enough headroom for pans... and if you ever order the upper grate you’ll have room on 2 levels for pans. The MAK’s do not lack in the headroom dept.

Old 03-01-2020, 05:04 PM   #174
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I do it because I'm lazy and it makes cleanup easier, if I have a smoke that only requires 1 grate it goes on the top with a pan on the bottom grate to catch drippings and grease.

Exactly what Kevin said... easy cleanup. You can cook on the bottom grate though with no issue... have done it many times.

Old 03-01-2020, 05:31 PM   #175
kenrobin
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Backyard Smokemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Honestly, I never use the “programs” as I am more of a “turn it on and cook” kinda guy. I do monitor and control my cooks via WiFi all the time.
Same here
kenrobin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2020, 07:25 PM   #176
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

+1. Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #177
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Hopefully you guys that had interest jumped on this. MAK never drops their pricing. I just wish I had a reason to buy a MAK so I'm living through you guys.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2020, 08:06 PM   #178
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Hopefully you guys that had interest jumped on this. MAK never drops their pricing. I just wish I had a reason to buy a MAK so I'm living through you guys.
If you ever buy one Sako you won't be disappointed, like the LSG vert you just know you got it right.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2020, 08:08 PM   #179
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Hopefully you guys that had interest jumped on this. MAK never drops their pricing. I just wish I had a reason to buy a MAK so I'm living through you guys. [emoji23]
Reason?

Old 03-01-2020, 08:10 PM   #180
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Is there a running total of how many people have snagged one on this deal?
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote