logo

Need help on appearance

DDT

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Would like to get some comments on the appearance,the two ribs on the side are to show the smoke ring.
Picture192.jpg
Picture195.jpg

Too much garnish.. Lose the parsley. The lettuce bed is overflowing out of the boxes.. It makes it look like you are trying to cover them up. Also the two center ribs have a split in the meat exposing the bone.

ditto on the garnish. should be able to see more chicken than garnish. remember, the meat is the star! make sure that it stands out and not the garnish.

I normally like a lot of parsley, but I think on your chicken you are covering it up to much with the parsley. The chicken is a little burnt, I would try and get as uniform as you can on all six pieces, even if you like to turn yours in with a little char!

Loose the parsley on the top of the ribs, and if you are gonna put it around the ribs, I would ring it! The ribs look very good!

All in all those are not bad boxes. You did not ask for scores but I will give them to you anyway!

CK-6

Ribs-8

rememeber it's a meat contest
you want your box to show off
your meat.. Are you a CBJ??
if not you should take a CBJ
class. Too much garnish :rolleyes:

Thank you for the advice I'll take it. Are the ribs on there sides ok or should I lay them flat?

We do the 2 ribs up but we make the middle 4 or 5 go perpendicular.

IMG_0002.jpg

To much garnish like said by others. As for the ribs of course you need 6 and you should try to make them all the same size also I would recommend maybe try to learn how to do a hollywood cut on the ribs much more meat from that cut. Good luck

Everyone agrees that there is too much salad going on. Stacking ribs sort of bothers me because as you have read, many can think that they are shinners. Once the score is marked, they cant change it. I do admire those who put pics of there entries and or practices up for all to see.

Ever here of "Queer Eye for the Comp Guy" That will get you straight!:)

I would trim the meat on the chicken so the skin can wrap around the entire piece, so that when the skin shrinks in cooking it will not show so much meat. Example is your lower left piece. Place the chicken on top of your garnish and make the box look full of meat.

On the ribs, I would say about the same thing load the box and make it look full of meat. Add a few mor ribs if possible. When judging, the smoke ring does nothing for me. I look at the entry and if I think I can't wait to dig into that box then they get a higher score in appearance.

Overall I think you are on the right track. But like it wass said above take the CBJ class if for nothing other than seeing what they are looking for.

To much garnish like said by others. As for the ribs of course you need 6 and you should try to make them all the same size also I would recommend maybe try to learn how to do a hollywood cut on the ribs much more meat from that cut. Good luck

I agree with other comments on the garnish. I might suggest on the chicken box, since it appears you have room, you might consider adding a few more pieces to take up space. Which would also reduce the amount of visable garnish. That is, of course, if you have aditional pieces that look boxworthy.

What is a hollywood cut rib cut?

Dito on what everyone else has said. Definately looks like you are trying to cover something up.

If you go with a lettuce box rather than all parsley then lay in the lettuce on the sides. Build up the bottom with 8 or 10 pieces so that the meat sits up higher. Use smaller peices of parsley for accent or to fill corners. And don't ever put paslery on top of meat just up to the middle of a peice of chicken.

Chicken - could use a more even sauce and a much more agressive trim. It's possible to put 9 thighs in a box if well trimmed although I just use the best 6. Rule of thumb - close to half the meat comes off a good size thigh.

Ribs - Fill the box. If doing just 6 ribs never overlap. Not necessary to show the sides. For doing overlap I use a 5 down 4 on top display. Just overlap enough so you have about 1/2 inch between the meat and the front and back of the box.

I
What is a hollywood cut rib cut?

It's where you cut the meat at the bone on left rib, leave the center rib and then cut the meat on the right rib right next to the bone. Hope that makes sense.

IMG_1060.jpg

I think the second from the keft is a Hollywood, not a real good shot!

As you can see, I do not cut uniform ribs!

It's where you cut the meat at the bone on left rib, leave the center rib and then cut the meat on the right rib right next to the bone. Hope that makes sense.

IMG_1060.jpg

Yes, your explaination does make sense, thanks!!

I think the Chicken needs more sauce and less garnish

For the Ribs I think they need a spray or something to shine them up and I am fond of lining them straight across the box so that it looks like a whole rack, I don't like to turn them to show the smoke ring as KCBS does not score the ring and I don't think they look as nice turned.

IMG_1060.jpg

That is a Hollywood cut. The only downside of the Hollywood cut is that you have to use more than one rack of ribs to make a box and not every rack of ribs will taste or look the same.

As for the original post, my first impression was " Look what's hiding in the bushes!" Too much garnish. I am a great believer in filling the box. After all it is a meat contest.

JMHO--- Spice

Back