Non Sanctioned Contests

Would you compete in a non sanctioned contest.

• No way, not ever

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Sure doesn't matter to me

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • If I knew that it would be run above board

Votes: 27 47.4%
  • other (state your reasons)

Votes: 10 17.5%

• Total voters
R

Roo-B-Q'N

Look at your contest schedule for this year. If any of those contest were non sanctioned (and it doesn't matter by which sanctioning body) would you still compete in them? Give your reasons as well.

I for one have passed on a non sanctioned comp for this year because the rules stated that the judges rulings were final but the organizer had the right of first refusal. :shock::eek::roll:

But I think if I had competed in a contest last year and knew it was above board and going to be run well. I would compete. Esp. if it were closer to home than a sanctioned one.

I voted other because it would depend on several things. Who was running the contest, what the rules were, who or what does the contest benefit. I've competed in a couple of non sanctioned contests but all that was on the line was bragging rights.

Williepalooza '07 was non-sanctioned and was the BEST contest i have ever competed in.

Other-
Sort of like steve said, its not always about the sanctioning, more sometiems about the spirit of the event.

I'd compete in most things if there was something behind it... even if it was just bragging rights in most cases. Cooking would be about one of the least dumb things I've competed against other people in...

Other-
Sort of like steve said, its not always about the sanctioning, more sometiems about the spirit of the event.

I'd compete in most things if there was something behind it... even if it was just bragging rights in most cases. Cooking would be about one of the least dumb things I've competed against other people in...

What would be the dumbest ? Hmmmmmm

if it was a qualifier for the Jack I would consider it. But only if it was a lot closer than other choices. And I'd need to know it was going to be well run and that the money would be paid out. I would have done Jim and Jim's Ohio contest last year but it was the same day as the local KCBS contest.

Sometimes I choose to drive farther just because I know it's a good contest.

Williepalooza '07 was non-sanctioned and was the BEST contest i have ever competed in.

AMEN!!! :biggrin:

The first contest we ever won in was a non-sanctioned event, Hillsbourgh No Fire Just Smoke...that sold us!!

They are all run with KCBS guided rules.

It would depend on what it is for, where it is, and how it is run. For the most part, I would probably say yes. But, if it was just for a local jip joint, and they were doing it just to raise money, most likely not. If it was for a good charity group, most likely yes.

I don't care as long as the rules are posted and adhered to. All the unsanctioned events I have been to used KCBS rules.

It would depend on many factors, as mentioned previously by others, most of all it would have to be a reputable competition with no funny business. Pretty much every contest around here is KCBS though, so thre really is not a lot of choice anyway.

I go to contest to compete. If the best are there I will be there too.

I doubt I would ever cook a non-sanctioned event where I didn't know the Organizer to be upstanding. Thats the reason we have the KCBS sanctioning service available. You could cook a non-sanctioned contest and the organizer could give the prize to his neighbor. You would never find out and there would be nothing you could do.

I cooked a non sanctioned one last weekend...no problem, didn't cost much to enter, had fun and picked up some good money for 2nd place ribs.. if they are not run on the up and up the teams don't cook them again...

cooking a TGCBCA sanctioned event this coming weekend, 100 teams, paying 10 places in meat categories, looking forward to it...and who ever wins gets Royal invite, and ticket in the hat for the Jack..

Don't matter to me, I enjoy the competition, cooking bbq, and having fun..

Look at your contest schedule for this year. If any of those contest were non sanctioned (and it doesn't matter by which sanctioning body) would you still compete in them? Give your reasons as well.

I for one have passed on a non sanctioned comp for this year because the rules stated that the judges rulings were final but the organizer had the right of first refusal. :shock::eek::roll:

But I think if I had competed in a contest last year and knew it was above board and going to be run well. I would compete. Esp. if it were closer to home than a sanctioned one.

yes I would and do 2 of them a year kinda fun. Where is one at Roo?

Man i hope Williepalooza happens again this year. I want that trophy!

Last edited:
I have seen the best and worst of both worlds. I have seen a non-sanctioned and KCBS sanctioned event gone bad on money. I have also seen the exact opposite. So I guess it really doesn't matter.

The Williepalooza trophy is Fark'n awesome! I'm a huge dog lover and just to have that dog on top of a trophy would be great. Where is the comp held?

I chose #3, if it was run above board - not sure anyone would cook a contest it they knew it wasn't above board (not sure if that means the "fix is in" or what?). I've done local, non-sanctioned contest and had a blast. They were first or second year contests and there were a few bumps along the way, but Iv'e seen that at sanctioned contest. Learning curve. It doesn't have to be a qualifier for anything other than fun.

yes I would and do 2 of them a year kinda fun. Where is one at Roo?

Roo - you passed on two unsanctioned contests this year :) I know, I know, you are booked up this weekend....

Scotty-
It isn't too late to come on down and Polar Swine with us :)

The Williepalooza trophy is Fark'n awesome! I'm a huge dog lover and just to have that dog on top of a trophy would be great. Where is the comp held?
Last year was the inaugural year. It was held in the parking lots of Willie B's BBQ. It was a brethren only contest. This year it needs a new venue. Basically a parking lot with access to a hose and and electrical outlet would do. Besides the "big wiener" trophy for grand some really cool custom plaques were given out as well. Each team threw in $100 and it was all returned as prize money.Here is the link The pic in my avatar is from that day. It was run under KCBS rules and the judges were all KCBS CBJ's.

Back