A trip to Jack McDavid's Firehouse in Philly

B

BrooklynQ

BackyardChef (Matt), his lovely wife Amy and my beautiful daughter Laura took a trip out to Jack McDavid's Firehouse in Philly a while back. I finally downloaded the pics. Enjoy!

L-Jack.jpg

I'm guessing it's just for show, but I'll give him a bonus point for having a Pitts & Spitts out back...

Was the food as good as the pics appear ? I had a pulled pork sandwich from his concession stand at the Bristol, PA contest in May... not bad....a typical pulled pork sandwich....

I have never been to Philly, but if I ever go it will be to eat at Jack's.

Actuallly the food was pretty un-impressive. It was OK, but I expected a whole lot better from the legendary Jack McDavid.

Take a good look at that rib. Dried out to the point of burnt. The brisket was really tough. The pulled pork was good, but noting jumped out as outstanding Q. If this was from a no-name place, it would have been OK, but here it was very disappointing.

hey,

Willy beat his ribs, I beat his butt and Jorge beat his brisket.. not sure how he did in chicken..

but i think he needs to be reminded that we wooped him....WillyB... you wanna make that phone call? :mrgreen:

BBQchef33 said:
hey,

Willy beat his ribs, I beat his butt and Jorge beat his brisket.. not sure how he did in chicken..

but i think he needs to be reminded that we wooped him....WillyB... you wanna make that phone call? :mrgreen:
i dont think so
as a little joke after what happened at New paltz i sent him a little package out to Reno this past weekend care of "the best rib demo guy ever"
The package contained some of my burbon rub which is the rub he said he liked

BrooklynQ said:
Actuallly the food was pretty un-impressive. It was OK, but I expected a whole lot better from the legendary Jack McDavid...
I'll second that. My wife took me to his place for my birthday a while back. I had pheasant that was beyond dry. The rest of the meal was OK, but pretty pricey for what it was. I also had a platter from his concession stand at Bristol. Almost 15 bucks for some barely average (I mean restaraunt average) bbq and 2 crappy sides. I can't say I was happy with either experience. I'm sure he can and does do better but unfortunately it didn't happen when I was around.

He aint nothing without Bobby Flay or Will Breakstone.... But the Memphis in May trophy is pretty impressive.

Cue's Your Daddy said:
He aint nothing without Bobby Flay or Will Breakstone.... .

hey, there's an idea for a show... "GRILLING' &................BEER"?

Back