Had it with chicken thighs!

Eggspert

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of past threads about chicken. I have read them all. I have searched high and low on the internet. I have also been to a class and seen a top scoring chicken recipe. I still do not get cooking chicken thighs.

I buy top quality chicken, use pieces weighing around .4-.5 prior to trimming, remove copious fat, trim to a nice shape, and use a commercial rub and sauce frequently used in competition BBQ. No injection or brine/marinade. We cook at 275.

My issues:
#1 skin: I can get bit through skin without too much issue, but it doesn't taste good. In my opinion it doesn't have a nice texture. It's soft and kind of slimy. It is bite through, but if it were me eating it, I would pull it off and slather sauce straight on the chicken. I have tried oil, parkay, plugra, butter, and a mix of all in the bottom of the pan and on top of the chicken.

#2 Meat Flavor: I am struggling to get flavor in the meat. The sauce is so flavorful, but if you just taste the meat, it is pretty bland. We don't use wood, because in my opinion it over smokes chicken. Just lump charcoal.

#3 Consistency: I cook the darn chicken the same way every time. The thighs are the same size and sometimes the meat is over done and dry/mealy/grainy. While a piece right next to it is dripping with juices and rubbery texture. Then the third piece will be perfect. I can't figure out why some pieces of chicken are good and some are not.

Any help is appreciated!

Eggspert

Scrape the fat off the skin and then reapply prior to cooking. That'll help get you bite-through skin without the slimy unrendered fat.

Remember you are cooking for the judges not your personal taste preference, throw some fruit wood on, the mild smoke penetrates the meat adding flavor as does the rubs mentioned above. Good luck.

Congrats. You're one of the field fillers that cooks for themselves not for judges. If you want to win, do what they did in class. Scrape skin, brine, cook in butter in a pan, trim knuckles, use wood chunks, cook hot 300, take chicken to 185. And practice. And sauce.

How long do you foil your pan? I do an hour and am pretty happy so far.

Just like boogiesnap said brine the chicken and all your problems will go away. You will never have dry chicken again unless you over cook it. Do you cook it wet or dry. Mine use to come out slimy as well and I stopped turning it over and now I cook it skin side up all the way and that problem went away. The secret to the brine is to put your rub in the brine and simmer it for a little while to infuse the flavors and your chicken should be super flavorful. What internal temp do you cook it to?

I'm not familiar with the other mixes you mention but the salt from the brine will pull the flavors into the meat and when you brine it completely changes the texture of the meat. Brining makes the meat moister by hydrating the cells and allows them to hang on to their moisture during the cooking process. All that happens through diffusion.

I've had it with them too. I'm sick of trimming them all to look alike only to have none of them look alike after cooking.

I'm about to start some "groundbreaking" wing and drumstick experiments. Ok maybe not groundbreaking, but I have high hopes.

What's the advantage to brining rather than injecting it with something like FAB C or Butcher BBQ Bird Booster...or simply chicken broth?

other than it is a whole lot easier, i see no advantage.

flavor profile's *gulp* aside.

I'd be happy to give you the Chicken Secrets if you guys are willing to give up the Tri-Tip secret...

Here's a question, anyone ever thought to try...wait.... Gonna try it myself before I ask here.. Don't wanna give away a trick. Ha. What I do.., trim down and brine. Google any basic brine for ratios. I let that sit for 8 hours or so then rinse. Rub just before it goes on. I have been cooking in low sodium chic broth, skin down for about 90 min, turn over and take out of juice then let go another 30 or so. Glaze for 15. Not sure about judges, but the num-nuts friends that graze at the house used to not talk about the chic, and now I get requests. For whatever that's worth.. My trail trick is going to be using buttermilk and seasoning for brine. Makes killer fried chick. Can't see why smoked would be any different. And no wood? Pffffft. I use small pecan chunk for first 30 to 45 min...

Tri tip

I'd be happy to give you the Chicken Secrets if you guys are willing to give up the Tri-Tip secret...

Olive oil salt and pepper. 325 until internal is 135.. Slice thin. It's friggin awesome beside the chic in the above posts....

many do not use raw wood to flavor their chicken. charcoal or wood coal only.

i think the "many" may be some of the best.

quit reading and end learning.

FWIW a well known pitmaster out west you won KCBS TOY Chicken for 2012 said that he does not use any wood lately to flavor his chicken...only the smoke from the burning coals.

FWIW a well known pitmaster out west you won KCBS TOY Chicken for 2012 said that he does not use any wood lately to flavor his chicken...only the smoke from the burning coals.

That same cook says that he cooks thighs to an internal temp of 145 and then lets it carry over to 150 before it goes in the box. Is there some truth to it.....who knows??

Back