Auber Temp Controller for WSM- Alligator Clip

gapabral

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Just got the Auber two days ago and have done two practice cooks using my WSM.

According to the company, they recommend running the alligator clip through the dome of the lid. Although this works, it is very difficult to take the dome off and put back on again.

I would love to hear what other brethren that have the Auber and WSM are doing with the alligator clip.

thank you

Just got the Auber two days ago and have done two practice cooks using my WSM.

According to the company, they recommend running the alligator clip through the dome of the lid. Although this works, it is very difficult to take the dome off and put back on again.

I would love to hear what other brethren that have the Auber and WSM are doing with the alligator clip.

thank you

I dont have a WSM but I have a Master Forge smoker that is very similar, in fact I call it my WSM clone.

I just run it out a corner of the door. Its a great ATC

I sometimes hang it through the lid vent and other times run it under the lid and clip to the grate. I generally hang in lid vent when I put a lot of big cold meat pieces on to cook. My thought, and i have nothing to support this, is that the cold meat so close to the probe may give a lower reading umtil the meat heats up.

I like both of those ideas. If you did not have to do anything during the entire cook running it through the dome vent would be okay. However, if you have to foil ribs or spritz something, it is very inconvenient.

I had thought about running it under the dome lid but did not know if it would get pinched and damage the probe wire.

sure appreciate your ideas. very helpful.

I don't go through the lid vent when I am in the portion of the cook where I am spritzing the ribs. Only when they are in foil. Generally ribs and chicken aren't such a big piece of meat as to affect the temp around the probe.
I always do for the initial 4 hours of cooking the briskets and butts unfoiled.

Does it make a difference on where you place the alligator clip on the grill?

I just keep mine and inch or two away from the meat

the important thing is try not to have it too close to the meat to affect the reading, expecially if the meat is cold when you put it on

I try to keep it away from the meat and away from the very edge of the grate because of the way heat circulates in the wsm.

The clip will not fit through a 1/8" pipe nipple if that is what you plan to use.

Had to send the first auber back because either the blower or controller did not work properly. When the red light would turn on the blower did not come on. Customer service is really good. Temperatures were all over the place

So they send me a new controller and it seems to being working well EXCEPT
my temperature is set to 275 but the grate temperature is running at 300. I have changed the location of the alligator clip to three different positions and it is still running at the 300 degrees.

I am 2 inches from the closest rib.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Gary

Had to send the first auber back because either the blower or controller did not work properly. When the red light would turn on the blower did not come on. Customer service is really good. Temperatures were all over the place

So they send me a new controller and it seems to being working well EXCEPT
my temperature is set to 275 but the grate temperature is running at 300. I have changed the location of the alligator clip to three different positions and it is still running at the 300 degrees.

I am 2 inches from the closest rib.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Gary

how do you know its running at 300? a separate thermometer?

I have experience with this controller, I can help you

what I would try is to put the auber in boiling water and make sure its incorrect.

If it does not read 212 f or close then an offset needs to be programmed into the controller to compensate for the error.

this is simple to do, probably be easier to help you through PM's if you need me to help

I had to do this too

start by making sure that its not correct.

Back