• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Still learning

C

cdmckane

So I did my first chuck roast today. Put it in at 10 am and monitored smoker temps at 225 all day. At 7, IT 156, I pulled to throw in oven due to getting dark outside. I stuck a toothpick in it and it was sooo tender. I shut oven off and sliced some off. It's the best chuck I've ever had but I'm not sure why it didn't come up to temp in 9 hr???

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

if it was tender and good at 156, i would assume your probe is possibly bad? how big was the chuckie

You didn't mention how big it was.

There is nothing magical about cooking at 225. I regularly cook at 275-ish. It cuts the cook time by quite a bit.

A chuck that is tender and ready to eat at 156F is unusual, by miles and miles. I would check the thermo as well. I just cannot remember ever having one go edible at that temperature.

I haven't had any probe probs yet, but I've called Maverick and had them send Mr some new probes just the same. I couldn't imagine it'd take that long to cook. O do know an exact weight as I bought a whole cow and paid hanging weight. I guess it at around 3#

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

A 3 pound chuck should have cooked faster than what you did, but, 225F is slower than I generally cook. I am sure you need to check the probes and make sure they register temps properly. Fill a glass with ice, and then add water, stir as if making a cocktail. Put the probes into the water for 30 seconds and it should read 32F or close.

Back