Wood for Pork Butt

bbqiowa

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Two firsts for me tonight. First overnight smoke, and first pork butt. Need some suggestions for which wood/woods to use and how much. I have chunks of apple, maple, and hickory. Here's the rub I'm using thanks to virtualweberbullet.com.
1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
2 Tablespoons table salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

I'm smoking two butts @ 7 lbs after removing false cap with bone-in.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I use 80% oak and 20% hickory when I cook butts. But, fruit woods are not as strong as hickory so it depends on what you like. If you like a mild smoke use the apple. If you like it a little stronger use the hickory.

I think it would be a waste of the apple wood to mix it with the hickory. I can't help you with the maple since I've never used it for smoking.

Best results I have had are equal amounts apple and hickory.

Still get a decent smoke taste, but the apple seems to "smooth" things out. I used to use only hickory, but found a better end result with the apply/hickory mix.

wallace

Good luck,

I have a Treagar grill and use Hickory "pellets" almost exclusively. I have used apple pellets too, but I prefer the hickory.

Cooked up a four pounder just yesterday and made the most fantastic Carnitas Tacos.

KG

I use some hickory, but I'm not crazy about it. Use it sparingly for a nice light smoke.

How many fist sized chunks do you all think? I'm smoking on a WSM. Thanks again. Advice is greatly appreciated.

Apple, just a sweet and mild hit for Pork, my perfect wood

I would be willing to bet that hickory is the most used wood for pork. That being said, I usually use cherry.

Good thing is, you can try various combinations to find what you prefer and enjoy each one.

I do mostly apple here with a little hickory included. Its a great mix.

I highly recommend using at least some cherry. It gives a beautiful red color to the bark and tastes great in combination with some hickory or pecan.

I highly recommend using at least some cherry. It gives a beautiful red color to the bark and tastes great in combination with some hickory or pecan.

I would have to agree on the cherry. I know it wasn't on the OP list, but you can find cherry chunks pretty easily. Mixes great with pecan, on all meats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I almost always use a combination of Apple and Cherry. I usually use 3 fist sized chunks. Good luck.

My favorite combo is Pecan and either Cherry and/or Peach for butts.

Oh, THAT kind of wood. I thought this was another appreciation thread. Well, my vote is for hickory and apple.

Anything wrong with oak lump charcoal, and mesquite???

SteveT

Anything wrong with oak lump charcoal, and mesquite???

SteveT

A lot of people around here don't like mesquite. They say it's bitter and too strong. I like it but you've got to be careful not to use too much.

I have cooked with 100% Mesquite pellets for Beef.
I agree. It can be overpowering if over-used.

I now cook Beef over Candy Sue's Mesquite blend pellets.
70% Oak, 30% Mesquite.
WONDERFUL flavor!! :-D

To me, it is clearly all about the amount used.

TIM

Back