MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
ericandcandi
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Walmart charcoal , any good?

I Was In My Local Walmart Today And Noticed Their Price For An 18 Pound Bag Was Around Five Dollars.....At This Price Is It Any Good? I Think Its Called Backyard Charcoal.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Is it a ridged briquette? If so, it's probably RO, and is probably good.
If not, who knows, but sounds like a small investment to find out.
Go buy a bag and report back.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomlord View Post
Is it a ridged briquette? If so, it's probably RO, and is probably good.
If not, who knows, but sounds like a small investment to find out.
Go buy a bag and report back.
Do they make Royal Oak in China?

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

If it is their Backyard Grill brand it is at least made in the USA according to picture of the bag on the Walmart website.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
MeadAndMeat
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I may be mistaken on this experience being WalMart brand -- but I did get a cheap bag of Charcoal at WalMart once for use with some BBQ chicken.

The coal I got did a decent job of holding temperature and cooking for a reasonable period of time. My biggest issue with it was getting it to light which after about 10 minutes I decided was way behind schedule and heated it up with some extra lighter fluid and another match.

Other than the issues with lighting it, I don't recall having any problems with it. I've not tried a long smoke or anything with it though.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
dummy que
Full Fledged Farker

Default wally world charcoal

walmart charcoal is made by ROYAL OAK the brckets are larger than R.O. they seem to last a little longer it is well worth the price any charcoal bricket whith that design is made by R.O. it is patended
dummy que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
tkeen
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have used it and it burns long after you get it going. It just seems to take longer to get started.
tkeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
tarhog
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadAndMeat View Post
I may be mistaken on this experience being WalMart brand -- but I did get a cheap bag of Charcoal at WalMart once for use with some BBQ chicken.

The coal I got did a decent job of holding temperature and cooking for a reasonable period of time. My biggest issue with it was getting it to light which after about 10 minutes I decided was way behind schedule and heated it up with some extra lighter fluid and another match.

Other than the issues with lighting it, I don't recall having any problems with it. I've not tried a long smoke or anything with it though.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
Garrett
Babbling Farker

It is the only briquette is use in my UDS and kettle. Realy like it!! It does seem to take a few mins longer to lite but it last a long time too.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
ericandcandi
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the info, looks like I will be picking up a few bag and I'll report back.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
mrbill
is one Smokin' Farker

after being disappointed by my local grocery store brand, I learned that the Wally brand was RO. I've been using it happily ever since in my 18.5 WSM. a full ring w/a full load in a non-weber chimney gives me consistent temps and good longevity. I get multiple cooks out of a full ring just by knocking out the ash and adding a chimney of lit.
that being said, I have yet to christen my 18.5 ots. so I can't comment on how it works in a grill vs smoker.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
dbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummy que View Post
walmart charcoal is made by ROYAL OAK the brckets are larger than R.O. they seem to last a little longer it is well worth the price any charcoal bricket whith that design is made by R.O. it is patended
If it's bigger briquettes it may be rebagged Royal Oak - Chef Select, if it is I'll be using it.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

I have never used the Walmart stuff, but I have used the Academy brand (another "made by Royal Oak" brand). I have had similar issues with getting it lit. It does tend to burn a bit quicker (smaller briquettes) IMO, but it sounds like the Walmart stuff is larger.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
bkvanbek
Got Wood.

I like it a lot. Like the bigger size. Mostly get Royal Oak at Menards, when it is on sale. But when it isn't, Wal-Mart big briquettes are always cheap.
bkvanbek is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-19-2014, 10:41 PM   #15
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

I will have to stop by my local store and check it out.