Grilled Pineapple

Bill-Chicago

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Ma
Okay
I want to see at least 3 different ways on how to grill pineapple.

First time I had it was a month ago at B2. Never would have thought to do it, then I hear people do it all the time.

I cut it in 1/2 in slices. then on a low grill at first, high grill at the end.

I put a couple cups brown sugar, and a little 7up in a bowl. I had liquid brown sugar. Put the, on at the end.

They were okay, but I want a real recipe, including a real glaze. I winged it. It was good, but I want perfection.

So how do you grill a pineapple?

heres 4. :) Number 2 makes your socks roll up and down. (I like all of them with vanilla ice cream on top.. melting down the side of the slice.... running across the dish.............).

1 - B2 Version.... 2-3 cups of brown sugar, 1/2 cup cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg and allspice. Dip the pineapple in southern comfort, brandy,or cognac(we used cognac). Put it on a hot hot hot grill to carmelized the sugar. Brush or spray with while its cookin with whatever. Cognacs good cause it flames when ya spray and helps carmelize. Serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

2- Mix cup of dark rum and a small can of coconut milk till well mixed and smooth, dip pineapple slices in the mixture and roll it in shreaded coconut. spinkle some brown sugar and grill on med-hot grill.

3- soak Pineapple slices overnight in southern comfort... Place on hot grill a few minutes. Watch for spontaneous combustion.

4 - melt about half stick butter in pot, add a heavy cup of br sugr, stirr on low heat till sugar dissolves, added a few drops water or fruit juice if needed. When sugar is down melted to a paste, add creme de 'cacao and white rum unitl syrup consistancy. Brush on pineapple slices and grill to brown.

1. Mix 1 cup maple syrup, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, 1 tbsp vinegar, 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1/2 tsp ground clove in a pot and cook over medium heat stirring often. Coat pineapple while cooking on high heat with well oiled grate. Makes for cool looking cross hatch marks and no sticking to grill.

2. Somebody at one time mentioned using straight chili powder. I tried it and liked it. Simple but good.

3. Mix 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 tsp cinnamon and 1 stick butter (real butter, not that margarine crap). Coat pineapple while cooking on high heat with well oiled grate. Makes for cool looking cross hatch marks and no sticking to grill.

I have always used the following method.

I dip slices in melted butter, then into my cinnamon sugar nutmeg allspice(same as phil's first 1 I think). Then I throw on the grill. Even pre-heated, most of the stuff melts and runs off. Still tastes damned good, but makes a mess inside the grill.

This year at the brunch, our druncken asses made a new twist and poured some kahlua into the middle of a slice after it was removed from the grill. Tasted pretty damn good.

By the way, I don't bother slicing. I buy sliced in a can. That way you can buy tons to have extra if needed, or it goes back in the pantry for next time. Still love fresh though.

RE: Pineapple Time

Bill,
How do you grill them? Cinnamon, brown sugar, marinated ?

Kevin

Re: Pineapple Time

willkat98 said:
Pineapples are $.99 each this week.

Gonna grill up some of them this weekend.

My question, can you vacu-suck and freeze pineapples?

I would think so, but I'm not sure if you would end up squeezing out the remaining moisture?

Re: RE: Pineapple Time

Kevin said:
Bill,
How do you grill them? Cinnamon, brown sugar, marinated ?

Kevin

Cut off "skin" (leaving palms in to hold)

Slice into 1/2 to 1" "wheels"

Rub with brown sugar and cinnamon, that requires lower heat or it will burn.

chili powder on some (we like this one the best)

Plain cinnamon is good too (no burn)

Some people use brandy, but I don't bother.

I'm reviving this old thread to give Kevin some ideas.

Please feel free to add to this thread. It might be a Roadmap canadate, now that we have so many members.

Moderator: please merge "Pineapple Time" into this thread.

BBQchef33 said:
heres 4. :) Number 2 makes your socks roll up and down. (I like all of them with vanilla ice cream on top.. melting down the side of the slice.... running across the dish.............).

4 - melt about half stick butter in pot, add a heavy cup of br sugr, stirr on low heat till sugar dissolves, added a few drops water or fruit juice if needed. When sugar is down melted to a paste, add creme de 'cacao and white rum unitl syrup consistancy. Brush on pineapple slices and grill to brown.

This one was done when Phill was on his low fat kick.

It is one of the best ways of grilling Pineapple that I've run across

Thanks Bill for pulling up the old pineapple thread. I'm gonna try a few different ones. I do peaches with a recipe from a Marlboro cook book:
marinate 8 peach halves in a cup of honey,T vanilla,1/2 t cinnamon.
Reserve leftover sauce.
grill about 2 minutes per side.
put about a T of preheated strawberry preserves in the center
top with ice cream and reserved honey sauce.
The grandkids love it.

Kevin

Back