MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:36 AM   #1
Smokin D@wg@77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason
Default Judging Question

I compete in the FBA Florida BBQ association, now we are really new to this only 6 comps into our 1st season like most we start in backyard division. Our scoring system starts at 10 and goes down in .5 increments, the lowest score DOSE NOT get dropped 6 judge table w/table captain.

Almost all judges score sheet we have had has one judge (sometimes 2) in a category that just go LOW while all others are fairly high , we seen a 9.5 in taste then next judge 7.5 then back to 10 , 9.5, 10 then 9 ...you cant get a 8 or lower in category your done and for sure not anything 7. Same in appearance too ? not 10 to 7 drop but 10 to 8.5

Heres the thing . We were in out tent at last contest its mid morning things are fixing get going hot and heavy. At all most all contest judges will roam around just looking and walking around saying hello to the teams before judges meeting. Well we over heard a pack of 3 judges standing not 8 feet from our tent one judge says "they put me on the backyard list" that is BS. other say "really that stinks" i always would rather have pro seats.

My point is and maybe all sanctioning bodies do this but why is there a need to tell judges there judging PRO or BACKYARD ? Whats to gain by it ? Your a judge heres your turn in box judge it , why dose it matter PRO or backyard. I think you would get more level judging playing field if it were kept unknown.

Is KCBS the same ? are all judges told pro / backyard
Smokin D@wg@77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 06:48 AM   #2
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I believe KCBS does not run the two levels concurrent to each other. So judges would not have that to deal with.
I'm guessing the judges you encountered had the opinion that the backyard meats would be inferior. I am judging more KCBS backyards lately and don't find that sentiment to be accurate. Plus backyard cooks seem to be a less bitchy crew...
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-18-2020, 07:02 AM   #3
Smokin D@wg@77
Full Fledged Farker

Was hoping i could get your opinion sir , thank you.

Do think that dose happen a slanted view or already mind made up that "this isn't going be good stuff" so scoring starts at 9 instead of 10 regardless just because they told you what was judging is backyard.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:10 AM   #4
ewatts2003
Full Fledged Farker

I don't really have an answer to your question, but I've done 2 pro series KCBS comps that also had backyard. One had backyard on Friday with judging Friday evening. The other had backyard on Saturday with turn-ins starting at 2:00 so I'm assuming they used some of the same judges that judged the pro contest.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-18-2020, 10:23 AM   #5
fwdiii
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

I don't believe that KCBS mixes the two events, I have never seen that. I have judged a backyard event as well as several pro events and let me tell you, the backyard bbq I tasted and judged was as good as a lot of bbq I judged on the pro events and I have no problem judging either event! Those two judges you overheard are idiots!!!
fwdiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 10:30 AM   #6
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've judged a KCBS competition 3 or 4 times that had pro and backyard divisions, but the same group of judges judged both. We were not told until the boxes hit the table that we were judging backyard teams, and probably would not have made any difference EXCEPT the organizers had intentionally changed the category names for the backyard division, and loosened the rules about garnish and contents in the box. The backyard categories were Chicken, Pork, Beef, and Other. This allowed the backyard cooks to cook everything in a couple of hours if they chose their meats wisely.

Chicken was usually pieces, but we might get skewers. The sauces for chicken entries got pretty creative, everything from Buffalo Hot Wing sauce to Oriental sweet and sour sauce. Pork turn-ins might be shoulder, but ribs, tenderloin, or even sausage were more common. Beef was often cubes of tenderloin or ribeye but I recall getting meatballs, meatloaf, and even sliders. Other was either veggies, fruits, seafood or dessert.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
Smokin D@wg@77
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I've judged a KCBS competition 3 or 4 times that had pro and backyard divisions, but the same group of judges judged both. We were not told until the boxes hit the table that we were judging backyard teams, and probably would not have made any difference EXCEPT the organizers had intentionally changed the category names for the backyard division, and loosened the rules about garnish and contents in the box. The backyard categories were Chicken, Pork, Beef, and Other. This allowed the backyard cooks to cook everything in a couple of hours if they chose their meats wisely.

Chicken was usually pieces, but we might get skewers. The sauces for chicken entries got pretty creative, everything from Buffalo Hot Wing sauce to Oriental sweet and sour sauce. Pork turn-ins might be shoulder, but ribs, tenderloin, or even sausage were more common. Beef was often cubes of tenderloin or ribeye but I recall getting meatballs, meatloaf, and even sliders. Other was either veggies, fruits, seafood or dessert.
interesting....

yea ours are done/turned in at same time as PRO / we turn in same times turn in all same categories with same rules and judging criteria.

Even more of reason as to why "separate it" not sure what you gain by saying hours ahead of time you will be judging pro and you backyard. It all gets turned in same exact time frames in same boxes with same rules sooooo why dose it need be that way i see nothing but negatives for this.

ill be bringing this up in future meetings with the board. Thanks for feed back guys !

Old 02-18-2020, 02:56 PM   #8
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

I' a relatively new judge who has done several pro events. Last summer I did a backyard event that was near our lake home. I really didn't know what to expect and I don't think I had any predjudice going in. What I found is that most of the entries were not much different in quality from what I had seen at the pro events. In fact, a couple were actually better than the pros because the pro boxes never contain anything out of the ordinary in terms of seasoning, cuts, etc. Truth be told I think the pro boxes are kind of boring.
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 06:31 PM   #9
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

In the events that I cook, KCBS, only one event had backyard judging at a different time than pros. We put our boxes down in different sections on the tables, but they are judged concurrently.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 07:04 PM   #10
thirdeye

Just to clarify my reply, the backyard entries were kept separate from the pro entries and for each turn in. So when a backyard category landed at your table all the boxes were from backyard teams. For the next category, the backyard boxes landed at other tables.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-18-2020, 07:40 PM   #11
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Take this for what it's worth, an isolated experience. I judged a backyard event only once and tried to keep an open mind. There were four categories and my table drew lamb. The organizers placed all turkey entries at one table, etc. Lamb is pretty difficult and the rules for presentation were somewhat nonexistent other than having to have enough portions. Some tasted fair, some were poor and none were good. I was thinking I was being tough on one entry but when I looked around the table everyone had spit out their sample. There was no preconceived expectation but I think I was more kind with points than I might otherwise be.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:17 PM   #12
thirdeye

Because we live in sheep country, lamb pops up on occasion as an additional entry, which is fine by me because I cook a lot of it. Not all the cooks enter that category, and the Reps go out of their way to ask for a show of hands of people that won't eat lamb in case they need to shuffle people around after brisket is over to judge lamb. But then again, there are a number of judges that don't really cook.... and I don't mean not cooking barbecue, I mean not cook in general.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:45 AM   #13
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I contacted KCBS Rep Committee and received two replys that holding a Pro/Backyard concurrently is not a uncommon thing.
I stand corrected.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020, 09:10 AM   #14
Smokin D@wg@77
Full Fledged Farker

thanks !

Old 02-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #15
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
I contacted KCBS Rep Committee and received two replys that holding a Pro/Backyard concurrently is not a uncommon thing.
I stand corrected.
Ed
But you can't intermix the judges. BY judges ONLY judge the backyard then they're done. Comps are specifically prohibited from adding tables to the pro judging
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote