How level is level enough?

Patrologia

I am building a patio and plan to put the grills on it. I need to amend my dig, but the current line up includes a Genesis gasser, a 22” kettle, and as of a couple days ago a vertical offset smoker. (Come to think of it, maybe I should extend the patio a bit.)
Anyway, I’ve been planning for a slight slope, about 1/8” per foot, to allow drainage away from the house. Since that is enough slope to affect water run off, is it enough slope to affect cooking with any of my outdoor kitchen? I would assume the kettle to be the most forgiving, but what about the gasser, and the new-to-me smoker. I know nothing about it’s properties, haven’t even lit a fire in it yet.
Should I come up with a section of the patio that stands level and doesn’t shed water? Suggestions welcome.

I don't think 1/8 in. will effect anything, none of my cookers set more level than that

First, what do your building regulations say? I believe ours is 3/16 per foot.

Second, I have a patio built to code and my 6 ft long table has never had a single issue with levelness, even when I use a burner on it with a fry pan.

My gasser on my patio had to be shimed up because the angle made the gas flow to one burner and not enough to the other.

You do not want a section that is level. Up there behind the Cheddar Curtain®
you'd need ice skates to cook on it.

Keep your head.
XrulRGHeISkZTyexZYiEMQg-dpL3omWqH-UKh2NEL4vV-zhYxHxlbPHZcpnPa17w6Y7Z2aV8XktGtQvsCuSSeOoRJyC6PV6W4BF9cH1eycJ7O9oT4iuDz6oMd37u0bBsTb53nCv4hxJVp2Ntu9jNpWrrnFZwPmOjscSCdwypjifqcvvY

The 1/8"/ft is standard in my area, but it's likely you will have an unexpected low spot that will puddle some water. Concrete finishing is manual, and texturing is more important to me. Anyways, as long as water moves away from the house you are good. Leveling your cooker is easy and you never truly need it until you are cooking something like these butter broth thighs.

XMnNhbe.jpg

Laughing and calling BS at same time! :clap:

No, quite true! Could not understand why the one side of my gasser was hotter than the other with same settings. All with brand new burners in the grill .
Put shims under one side and my temps were even across the grate, and equal flame. Still about 3* out of level, but it worked.
Because of this thread, checked my angle on patio, just for the heck of it; 3/8" drop for every 18". Way too steep.

Back