MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #16
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

I have two sets, one the original 3 foot ones, and a set of the 6 foot straight ( not bent ) probes. One of the straight probes went crazy last time I used them. I had shrink tubing on them, but on the one that went crazy had cracked shrink tubing on it. It was in a brisket and the rendering fat got inside of it I think.

I really do not use them much any more, as I have learned how to tell the grill temp by estimating from the mounted gauge, which runs about 40 to 50 degrees more than the Maverick probes ran when they were used. I have a thermopen wanna be that is slow ( 6 to 8 sec. ) that I use for meat temps when I need to really know what it is. ( chicken, etc ) In other words, learn your smoker and you will get by without depending on the Maverick. ( other than the alarm advantage )

Blessings,

Omar

Old 09-06-2014, 12:04 AM   #17
jtrai491
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have two ET732's for about 9 months. No probe problems but I do have a problem with one of them losing the signal. Looking at getting the Tappeque...

Old 09-06-2014, 12:58 AM   #18
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

I got some wireless thermometer from walmart no idea what it is called but it works from one end of my property to the other end on the other side of my house. It is fantastic. I think it was just under 30 bucks. It's not bad at all for the price.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #19
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

I have 4) 732's and a few are several years old. I have recently replaced one set of probes

1. As posted before, use RTV around the cable to probe area
2. Do not exceed the probe temp rating
3. Do not kink the cable
4. DO NOT submerge in water. Wipe down for cleaning
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #20
Highcal
On the road to being a farker

I have some food grade silicone good till 400f am now going to put a coat on the connection as some of you mentioned.
I have never cleaned the braided probe wire, just wiped it down, can I submerge the cable just making sure not to submerge where it connects to the probe ???? Ive always been scared to get water in the wire.
Highcal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #21
Oldschoolbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Default 732's

I have two of them and keep them in an Ammo box for protection of any kind.The box makes a good place to keep extra Batteries and an eyeglass repair kit to remove the screws on the sending unit , my Thermopen and any thin g else needed.

I calibrate every time I Smoke , and carefully roll the leads as to not break the wire. I also take the batteries out if I see a long break in Smoking , to save the battery leaks that destroy circuits .

These 'buggers' cost too much for me to chance ruining them. Even cooking , I will place the unit and wire in a plastic container to keep rain off.

I'm a bit 'anal' about my equip. , but it took me a long time to convince the 'Boss' so I keep it nice

Have fun , Stan...........

Old 09-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #22
Enrico Brandizzi
Babbling Farker

My 2 Mav 732 have worked for almost 1 year w/o any problem. Once, it happened one probe went wet and stopped working. I just slow heated it for some hours and it worked again. I have the 6" probes.

BBQness is on Youtube, Instagram & Flickr [/B]
Enrico Brandizzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #23
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcal View Post
I have some food grade silicone good till 400f am now going to put a coat on the connection as some of you mentioned.
I have never cleaned the braided probe wire, just wiped it down, can I submerge the cable just making sure not to submerge where it connects to the probe ???? Ive always been scared to get water in the wire.
I wouldn't. Just wipe them off.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #24
Sevengoals
Full Fledged Farker

I've had no problems with mine.

(touch wood...)
Sevengoals is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Maverick ET-732, temperature