• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked beans for soup

B

BlueHowler

Years ago a friend that has passed to the great BBQ joint in the sky made a smoked bean soup that was delicious.

I never learned his technique at the time because I wasn't in to making my own BBQ.

Do you smoke the dry beans or do you soak them until plump and then smoke them? Any help would appreciated.

Thanks!

I have tried both ways and in either case the beans just fall through the grate.

Actually, I made a pot of smoked pintos and did it by throwing the dutch oven on the bottom rack of a WSM.

I was actually thinking a metal colander would work well. I'm just not sure if dry beans would pick up any smoke flavor.

Another option?

I've had a lot of luck with grinding them and wrapping in zig-zag paper. What they lose in taste they compensate with in laughing gas.

I'd try just soaked first on a screen. I've seen some here use a type of tight screening used for fish and veggies.

On 3eyez recipe page he has a great one for "Senate Bean Soup". He calls for adding liquid smoke to the stock.

NUTZ

I don't have anything useful to add other than...
I think these got over smoked!

GEDC2301.jpg

Here's an old post but it shows how I do them..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52949

I soak the beans over night then smoke them in a colander for a few hours stirring every 30 minutes or so... then I add my broth and seasonings and let them simmer til tender.

I made more of them not long ago but never did post the pics. :redface:

They are tasty made this way!

I did a ham and bean soup without using the ham.

I used a rack of smoked baby backs instead, turned out delicious!

On 3eyez recipe page he has a great one for "Senate Bean Soup". He calls for adding liquid smoke to the stock.

NUTZ

While I love the flavor of smoke I hate the liquid smoke flavor. I have used it it in some soups and stews but only a drop or two.

My friends bean soup had bodacious real smoke flavor.

Here's an old post but it shows how I do them..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52949

I soak the beans over night then smoke them in a colander for a few hours stirring every 30 minutes or so... then I add my broth and seasonings and let them simmer til tender.

I made more of them not long ago but never did post the pics. :redface:

They are tasty made this way!

Oooooh, that sounds like what I need to do. Thanks!

Back