BWS Chubby Cook 2: The Quest For Brisket - w/pics

btcg

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi all,

This was done this past saturday, and unlike the first-time cook I did with my BWS, I didn't get up at the crack of dawn to start the cook. Slept until 10:20 am, had some coffee, and then got started.

I had marinaded my 2 briskets the night before: one, a regular cheap, Giant Foods brisket, and the other, a commercially ready corned beef brisket.

By 12:35 pm, the Chubby was up to temp, and I began my cook:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

As you can see above, the temp held wonderfully. Good thing... it was 26 degrees out, and got colder when the sun went down.

As a quick aside: I have to laugh at the chores my neighbors come up with so they can come out and see what I'm up to when I'm Q'ing. I've never seen so many rugs shaken out, sudden inspections of their decks, a walk-bys (no one is walking out there usually in this cold). And they all shoot me a grin.

I've got these two neighbors, one with a dog, one with a cat, that refuse to take their pets out when it's cold. Instead, they just let em out to do their business: a no-no in my PUD. You're supposed to clean up after your pets. I must say, both the cat & dog have good noses, because they're both taking turns watching me too.

The cat reminded me of the cat I had for 18 years, until he passed away in 2004. His name was Andy. Knowing him like I did, I'm pretty sure he'd be curious too. In fact, he'd probably sniff the Chubby, and then jump up on it and lay down.

Having developed a respect for cats (Andy taught me this), I'd never forcable remove him from things. Instead, I'd try & coax him down by talking to him.

Sometimes, this would work.

Most of the time, I'd just get this look from him that said it all:

"Feed me, you idiot!"

He always said that!

The cat that was watching me saturday gave me a similiar look.

By 1:30 am (nearly 13 hours later), it was time to remove the briskets:

5.jpg

The one to the top right is the corned beef brisket. Broke out my new pressure cooker Sunday night and steamed me some corned beef: It was great!

Anyways: second Chubby cook went pretty much the same as the first. The smoker is a joy to use.

Huh, I have been wondering about them pre packed corned beef briskets at Kroger and if they were any count. Anyway they both look good.

Huh, I have been wondering about them pre packed corned beef briskets at Kroger and if they were any count. Anyway they both look good.

Thank you Jason. Glad your BWS cooker is working out too. You and Tom's advice swayed me in buying mine.

You doing Johhny Trigg's class?

NIIIICCCEEEE (in a true southern twang)

Yep Andy,

I would have loved to have eaten some, but by the time they rested, it was 2:30 am: too late for briskey.

Boshizzle & I are gonna do one comp, but other than that, I just cook for the fam, as you know, so that Chubby is the perfect size.

Got up the next morning and cleaned it top to bottom. For the fire area, I vaccuum it out with one of my shop vacs, then wash it out (and the rest of it) with dish soap & water.

So she's clean as a whistle and ready for this weekend: NHL Skills/All-Star Game & some peach smoked ribs.

Thank you Jason. Glad your BWS cooker is working out too. You and Tom's advice swayed me in buying mine.

You doing Johhny Trigg's class?

I would like to but with the new lines coming in at work and the new Camry getting ready to come out. Work has been crazy and not to mention all the trips to Japan I have been taking for work (28 hour travel time from my drive way to the room in Nagoya then the next morning bus ride to Toyota City for a 2 week stay). I have not seen the wife and kids that much.
Maybe next year

Looks great! Brisket or pulled pork is my next Fatboy cook, prolly Superbowl weekend. What shelf did you have 'em on?

They both look fantastic!! Let us know if there is a huge taste difference. :-D

Looks great! Brisket or pulled pork is my next Fatboy cook, prolly Superbowl weekend. What shelf did you have 'em on?

Removed all but one of the racks, and placed it just above center. This one was for the wife, so no rub, and a low-sodium injection. When I do low sodium, I try & enhance with other spices in the injection.

Came out pretty well.

Hey, also how long of a burn did you get, did you have to reload?

I checked it at 8 hours in, and still had had plenty of coals, but decided to reload anyways, as I had the door open, eh?

Don't know if the fire pan holder is the same size in yours as in the Chubby (yours could be slightly larger). But I'm getting a 8.5 hour average in 26 degree weather. Not bad.

They both look fantastic!! Let us know if there is a huge taste difference. :-D

Yep,

They were both terrific, but very different. The corned beef seemed a bit salty right off the grill, but after I sliced and pressure cooked it, it lost a lot of the saltiness. Had me a nice sandwich of it today.

The regular brisket was juicy, and tasty, even reheated. Would have liked to had more than a small taste after it rested, but that late at night, I wanted to sleep.

If I could do it over again, I'd have started much earlier.

Very nice brisket. I used your schedule last week to make a brisket for sammies - 11am to 11pm, let rest, reheat and enjoy - turned out damn good brisket! It's tough to go to bed through while the brisket is resting :>)

Very nice brisket. I used your schedule last week to make a brisket for sammies - 11am to 11pm, let rest, reheat and enjoy - turned out damn good brisket! It's tough to go to bed through while the brisket is resting :>)

Truer words were never spoken! I was tempted, though.

What was that hangong off the handle on the side of the smoker? ( it was blue )

WOW.... could this be used on other electric smokers? I have seen other listing where the temps are off as much as 20 degrees.

WOW.... could this be used on other electric smokers? I have seen other listing where the temps are off as much as 20 degrees.

Don't know about electric smokers, but holds the temps well on my charcoal/wood grills.

I think they sell controller packages for electric smokers, but given the stability of electricity and a heating element, why bother?

You didn't read, some electric smokers are off as much as 20 degrees. I thought the chubby was electric? how does it control charcoal wood? You may be having fun with me and thats ok.

Back