BBQ Trailer insurance

akoda

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
All,

I have been in line waiting for my Shirley and it is hopefully coming this month. I will be renting a pick-up to make the drive and tow it back. I just called my insurance company, State Farm and they will not insure it. They say it is a commercial pit. What do others do? I explained it is for personaly use only and the occasional comp but no go.

are you talking insurance from theft? Or if you are in a car accident with it behind?

State farm told me it was covered on my property and while towed by MY vehicle. It is not covered off site if detached from my vehicle. They will not cover any liability related to food or burns. Tried to get coverage just on the trailer but they refused.

I got it added to my catering policy really cheap. covers if it gets damaged/stolen even at the house when it is not being towed. I believe I go through Safeco.

Ask about a land and sea policy.If I remember right there are varying degrees of coverage.It all depends on what you wish to have.Talk wiyh several agents ,you'll find what you need.

Mine is insured with St Farm. It is a cargo trailer, but I have it and the contents insured. I think it is $10/6-months. That covers two FEC-100's, the trailer, and a couple grand in misc. contents.

I was thinking while towed

Most states (mine included) have your trailer covered under the vehicle pulling it.

I was able to get insurance for theft/damage for less than 5 a month (cargo trailer)

I have an enclosed cargo trailer.
My insurance company insures the trailer itself for the any loss/damage.
The contents are covered by my renters insurance.

Very inexpensive. I'd ask around.

State Farm says they will not cover it. They say that in their underwriters eyes it is a commercial item because it cooks food, like a food truck and they will not insure food trucks any more. I'll get insureance on my rental when I tow it back. They said since it was considered commercial it is not insured behind my personal vehicle. I probably opened a can of worms by asking but I try and keep my a$$ covered. I will also start looking for a new insurance company, probably find one cheaper than state farm anyway :)

"Most states (mine included) have your trailer covered under the vehicle pulling it."

That statement is only partially accurate. Liability protection only extends to towed vehicles, it essentially becomes part of the car for liability only. For example, if you turn too sharp and your trailer damages another car. The auto policy extends no coverage for physical damages to the towed trailer itself, regardless if it's a camper, cargo trailer, bbq trailer etc. The towed item must have it's own policy on it for physical damages.

Regarding homeowners, most policies, including the one previously mentioned, provide very limited amounts of coverage. Read your policy for the limits for the amounts.

The best bet, if available, is the Inland Marine Policy (no relation to boats, it's old insurance terminology).

State farm told me it was covered on my property and while towed by MY vehicle. It is not covered off site if detached from my vehicle. They will not cover any liability related to food or burns. Tried to get coverage just on the trailer but they refused.

I suggest you open your policy and read the special limits section. It is covered for a specified, limited amount for certain named perils while on your property. It is very limited though. Also, when being towed, the liability only is covered, the auto policy doesn't extend any coverage for damages to the trailer itself.

Progressive Insured my Lang

I'm buying a used Lang 60 original, and saw this post when I was getting it insured. I have all of my vehicles, house, and camper insured by Progressive, so I started (and ended) with contacting a Progreesive agent. I had to explain to the agent what a Lang smoker is, showed her Lang's website, and talked to the underwriter. After all of that, I was happy to hear that Progressive would insure it for about $100/year. I live in NJ and I thought I was going to have a hard time getting it insured. Also, insurance is required for registering a trailer in NJ, so that might be way Progressive covers them (but I could be wrong). I hope this helps.

Back