• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

An 11 Pound slab of what?

ON THE FARM

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was telling a guy I work with that I am cooking a brisket and some ribs this weekend.
I said to him if he would like I would cook him a rack if he bought it, he said he will check with his wife.
Well this morning he said he brought in a piece no sorry a SLAB of meat, turns out it is a 11 pound slab of uncut
Kansas city strip steaks.
He wants it smoked I said no problem.

I have never done a cut of meat like this, should I cook it like a brisket?
I was thinking low and slow with just salt and pepper It should be great!

Holy cow... That must be an expensive chunk o beef! Personally, I would cut it into steaks and cook those, but if he wants it cooked whole cook it at 275 or so until it is about 125 - 130 internal and then let it rest under a tent of foil for 30 minutesa or so and then slice it and enjoy! it will be anywhere from medium rare to rare. if anyone want their's done more then you can toss a slice on the grill for a few minutes.

Holy cow... That must be an expensive chunk o beef! Personally, I would cut it into steaks and cook those, but if he wants it cooked whole cook it at 275 or so until it is about 125 - 130 internal and then let it rest under a tent of foil for 30 minutesa or so and then slice it and enjoy! it will be anywhere from medium rare to rare. if anyone want their's done more then you can toss a slice on the grill for a few minutes.
I think Ron_L is dead on but I would add that I would season it with something similar to a Montreal style rub.

And i think Dive is dead on with his suggestion on Montreal Steak Seasoning. :-D i forgot to mention that part.

I think Ron_L is dead on but I would add that I would season it with something similar to a Montreal style rub.

And i think Dive is dead on with his suggestion on Montreal Steak Seasoning. :-D i forgot to mention that part.

I think both Ron_L and Dive are dead on. I'd smoke it with some hickory or pecan...

A friend of his gave it to him!
I do like the idea of cooking it and then slicing it then put it on the grill. I will need to ask him.

I think Professor Salt is dead on in saying that trp1fox is dead on.

Professor Salt is, as usual, dead on in his evaluation of the above posts.

If the "High Priest of Pork" says that Professor Salt is dead on about trp1fox being dead on, then he must be Dead On.

I think one or , most of us should be there to help in the ,testing . We need to look out for each other......

If the "High Priest of Pork" says that Professor Salt is dead on about trp1fox being dead on, then he must be Dead On.

I think that you are dead on about these guys confirming each other about being dead on about Dive & Ron L being dead on!
Am I dead on about this concept?:mrgreen:

I just want to add, before throwing it on the smoker I would let it rest at room temperature for a while. I would not toss it on directly from the fridge.

One other note: When I do rib roasts this way, while it sits on the counter, I like to rub the outside with beef base and then season with what ever you want. This is just personal preference. Works well for me.

Cheers,
Nate

I guess I need to go on and say it: Right on about being dead on.

You guys are all wrong!!!

After all this circle jerk about being "dead on" I would like to confuse and complicate matters by saying they are all dead wrong...

Heres what you do - you should rub with salt pepper or maybe montreal steak seasoning maybe even beef base concentrate and smoke the thing whole at about 275 until an IT of about 125-130 or so then i'd take it off, tent it and let it rest. That fool that said don't put it on cold from the fridge is WRONG thought... you should place it on the grill after it warms to room temp and not put it on cold.

Popdaddy

Hey guys this is Pitmaster "T" here and I just grabbed the keyboard from Popdaddy. Here's what I do to my friends stupid enough to give me an expensive cut of meat like that. While the guy goes back home THINKIN I am smoking his meat, I slice it into steaks and freeze it. Then I reach into my freezer and pull out a presmoked beef bottom round and trim it to look like the meat he gave me and give that to him. Don't ask why I have 6 smoked beef bottoms... its a sore subject.

Pitmaster "T"

I have nothing to add to this disucssion, but someone here is dead on...

Pic's of meat or it didn't happen!

Back