MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #196
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole D View Post
Hi everybody. I have all of my parts and am just get started on my build.

The drum I have is 34" tall. I am using 3 - 3.50in bolts as feet for the fire basket. So the bottom of the basket will be around 3.25in from the bottom of the drum. Going 24 in up from there puts me at 6.75in from the top of the drum. Is that too close to the top? Also weber lid does not fit.

Can I go any closer to the fire basket or can I use shorter bolts for the feet of the basket?

Since this is my first build I am thinking of going with just one rack and the lid that came with the drum.

Any help is much appreciated.
Why doesn't the Weber lid fit?

To make my Weber lid fit, I took some channel locks and bent the rim of the lid out and then sat it on top of the drum and persuaded it back in to shape with a rubber hammer.

Your lid doesn't have to be a perfect fit to work correctly. Mine always has smoke billowing around the lid during my cooks for a short period of time. You should be more concerned with air leaking through your intakes which will cause temp spikes

Old 09-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #197
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for your reply.

I was just trying to use the lid from my functional weber. I guess I will go and find a lid from a junked weber.

But what about the heighth of the cooking grate from the fire box grate? I still need to keep that at 24" min. So if my lower grate is at 6.75" from the top do I really have room to put the second grate? Should it be like 1/2" from the top?
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #198
zopi
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Why doesn't the Weber lid fit?

To make my Weber lid fit, I took some channel locks and bent the rim of the lid out and then sat it on top of the drum and persuaded it back in to shape with a rubber hammer.
you might consider getting a set of cheap harbor freight (is there another kind?) body hammers..a stretcher and a shrinker..stretcher is smooth and shrinker looks like a meat mallet (multitasker!) anyway, you can take the lid and set the lip on something tough..heavy piece of pipe or whatever,
and peen it with the smooth hammer at opposed points, so it doesn't warp, and keep going around until it will sit on the drum snugly, and the use the shrinker to pull the ouckers back together if you get any...

and you get to learn something about body work...

I'm going to use the bottom of a donor drum and stretch it as above and weld in a rim so it will fit as a domed lid...and have a little extra room for the big cuts on the top grate.
zopi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 11:44 PM   #199
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Good deal or not??????

I can get a 22.5 weber floormodel from HD for $45. It doesn't come with a top grate or a charcoal catch between the legs. In whole it's banged up and the lid has a little rust around the edges. I'm really only buying it for the donor lid. Can't seem to find one. Good price or no??? Thanks in advance.
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #200
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
I can get a 22.5 weber floormodel from HD for $45. It doesn't come with a top grate or a charcoal catch between the legs. In whole it's banged up and the lid has a little rust around the edges. I'm really only buying it for the donor lid. Can't seem to find one. Good price or no??? Thanks in advance.
Personally I'd say no. Get a stainless lid that is posted in the UDS thread for @$27

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #201
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I'd say no. I bought 2 of the wally world chargriller's complete for 25.00 ea.I got the lid as well as the grate.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #202
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Personally I'd say no. Get a stainless lid that is posted in the UDS thread for @$27
Thanks for the advice fellas
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]

Old 09-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #203
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Thanks for the advice fellas
That would be my post, and you would have to add shipping. I also have some pics.

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #204
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
That would be my post, and you would have to add shipping. I also have some pics.

Paul B
Definately......PM me with the info....Thanks a lot

Old 10-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #205
erwinjohn
Knows what a fatty is.

Just to let everybody know, I'm a certified newbie on this forum. Just registered three days ago and started reading the UDS thread (and I'm not yet done reading everything... am still on the 77th page out of 287!!) and as I read the 1,148th post courtesy of the ever so helpful and informative Norcoredneck, I was finally brought to this thread.

Very informative indeed and kudos to everyone who posted their ideas. You would never guess that an Asian like me (I'm from Manila, Philippines) will be interested in building a UDS just like the one posted by Norco. Indeed, I'm a Q lover and I've always been obsessed to learn to Q the proper way until I stumbled upon your thread. Reading a combine 91 pages for 2 days makes me feel "I BELONG" so to speak... LOL

To cut it short, I've done enough research and reading thanks to this thread again, and to the people behind it.... I got two 55 gallon drums already and it's ready for some drillin', weldin' and burnin'!! The other hardware parts are ready to be installed, grates, bolts and nuts and all, expanded metals and nipples. And lucky enough, good charcoals and your ever reliable smokin' wood chips are available in all HOME DEPOTS here.

NORCO, this is my very first UDS (and I'm quite sure you guys can't find anyone with a UDS in this part of the world except I guess for some US expats who are die-hard meat smokers themselves) and thanks to your very detailed tutorial I'll start smokin' soon!! Will post photos here and in the UDS thread soon. Wish me good luck guys...

JOHN
erwinjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #206
erwinjohn
Knows what a fatty is.

Just to let everybody know, I'm a certified newbie on this forum. Just registered three days ago and started reading the UDS thread (and I'm not yet done reading everything... am still on the 77th page out of 287!!) and as I read the 1,148th post courtesy of the ever so helpful and informative Norcoredneck, I was finally brought to this thread.

Very informative indeed and kudos to everyone who posted their ideas. You would never guess that an Asian like me (I'm from Manila, Philippines) will be interested in building a UDS just like the one posted by Norco. Indeed, I'm a Q lover and I've always been obsessed to learn to Q the proper way until I stumbled upon your thread. Reading a combine 91 pages for 2 days makes me feel "I BELONG" so to speak...

To cut it short, I've done enough research and reading thanks to this thread again, and to the people behind it.... I got two 55 gallon drums already and it's ready for some drillin', weldin' and burnin'!! The other hardware parts are ready to be installed, grates, bolts and nuts and all, expanded metals and nipples. And lucky enough, good charcoals and your ever reliable smokin' wood chips are available in all HOME DEPOTS here.

NORCO, this is my very first UDS (and I'm quite sure you guys can't find anyone with a UDS in this part of the world except I guess for some US expats who are die-hard meat smokers themselves) and thanks to your very detailed tutorial I'll start smokin' soon!! Will post photos here and in the UDS thread soon. Wish me good luck guys...

JOHN
erwinjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #207
ansmith
Found some matches.

Default Uds help

Does it really matter what kind of drum you have as long as you burn it out?
ansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #208
Kickback BBQ on Guam
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Where did you find them and is there a part #.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #209
Kickback BBQ on Guam
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinjohn View Post

Very informative indeed and kudos to everyone who posted their ideas. You would never guess that an Asian like me (I'm from Manila, Philippines) will be interested in building a UDS just like the one posted by Norco. Indeed, I'm a Q lover and I've always been obsessed to learn to Q the proper way until I stumbled upon your thread. Reading a combine 91 pages for 2 days makes me feel "I BELONG" so to speak...

JOHN
Welcome to the world of UDS. You are not alone in this area, I live on Guam (just East of you). The UDS freaks people out here because they are used to using them for grilling here.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #210
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickback BBQ on Guam View Post
Where did you find them and is there a part #.
Try: www.arcticproducts.com. It probably has a part # but if you call(wow that would be long distance!!!!) and ask the kind folks there for the SS lid they will know.

Paul B

First post to the PH...............

Here are mine:

Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
DIY Drum Smoker, Homemade Ugly Drum Smoker, How to build a UDS, Norcoredneck, PBC vs UDS, Trailer Treasure, tutorial, uds, UDS Tutorial