Smoker Opinions and Options

eddiek2000

Reaction score
I am trying to get into smoking. I had a brinkmann smoker many years ago. I never really had a good understanding of using it and which woods to use. needless to say we didn't use it much and it is long gone.

Fast forward to today and I want to try again. I want to use an electric smoker, but I really hate to drop $500+ on a Smokin-it #3 if this is not going to be something I am going to use semi-often. I like the looks, function, size of the #3. I was all set for the #2, but saw a video and it seemed VERY small.

I was looking at a Bradley, but you don't get a smoke ring. Then I saw the Masterbuilt smoker, but the reviews were really bad. Now I am just trying to figure out what to buy.

Then there is the PID option. I would like to build my own in the future out of a raspberryPi, but that is a thread for another day.

Any advice would be great.

Are you married to electric? A WSM and a PartyQ will give you 95% automatic temperature control, and will cost you about $500. Or if you want to go more electric/automatic, consider a pellet fired smoker like a Traeger or Yoder. I think you'll end up with a better final product but still get the ease-of-use you're looking for. Plus a lot more folks use WSMs and pellet cookers than electrics.

I agree with Dave

I was always a electric or gas smoker until I tried wood/charcoal.

Once you learn the basics its real easy and the flavor cant be beat.

I agree with above something easy to manage with charcoal like a WSM or Akorn or if you do not want wood or charcoal than gas..

Another vote for a WSM. I've been using mine for almost a decade with no temp controllers. It's about as set and forget as you can get using charcoal/wood.

Come to the dark side bro, get a stick burner and learn to make the best Q on the planet! It ain't EASY but once you get started you'll be hooked.:wink:

Nice. Even I wouldn't try talking someone looking at an electric into using a stick burner (even though it is my weapon of choice). :wink:

I agree with oldbill, BUT honestly the elcheapo offset smokers are probably the toughest to learn fire (and subsequently smoke) control on, to the point that I think they're a waste of money, time, and effort. I'm thinking either the pellet pooper or a Weber Smokey Mountain would serve you best; my preference being the WSM.

This from a guy with 2 reverse flow smokers, the best is my Lang 84 that if I ever sell it, it will be to get another one.

Are you married to electric? A WSM and a PartyQ will give you 95% automatic temperature control, and will cost you about $500. Or if you want to go more electric/automatic, consider a pellet fired smoker like a Traeger or Yoder. I think you'll end up with a better final product but still get the ease-of-use you're looking for. Plus a lot more folks use WSMs and pellet cookers than electrics.

As far as the WSM, I guess it could be an option. I was really trying to be pretty much set and forget, hence the ease of electric.

Had to look the PartyQ up. Guess I could get the raspberrypi to handle it. I think I saw where you have to add some pipe and ball valves to the bottom to use the PQ?

I have to agree with the above... I started with a masterbuilt electric smoker. It produced what I thought was some great Q. Needless to say, once I tasted ribs off a UDS I never went back. Sold my masterbuilt and built a UDS and the rest is history. I think that people get caught up with the automation but, you can get that same result with not a lot of effort on a WSM, UDS or something like that. Also, the pellet smoker isn't a half bad idea, I just don't know if you'll get one that you'll be happy with as far as capacity with a $500 price range.

It looks like weber has MAP? Can't find it any cheaper than $399 for the 22.5".

Damn this place is busy. I really didn't expect so much traffic so quickly.

Welcome to your new obsession. :mrgreen:

P.S. The 30 gallon drum is a bit small in width IMO. A lot of the PBC users do hanging cooks (pretty much the suggested way although you can use a rack as well). Personally, I prefer the 22.5 WSM or 55 gallon drum width if using a round cooker (full packer or full spare rack fits). I don't own one, but temp regulation is pretty much set it and forget it using the proper lighting method.

I agree with oldbill, BUT honestly the elcheapo offset smokers are probably the toughest to learn fire (and subsequently smoke) control on, to the point that I think they're a waste of money, time, and effort. I'm thinking either the pellet pooper or a Weber Smokey Mountain would serve you best; my preference being the WSM.

This from a guy with 2 reverse flow smokers, the best is my Lang 84 that if I ever sell it, it will be to get another one.
When it comes to the COSs there's a lot of junk out there for sure. If someone were to ask me about buying their first stick burner I'd recommend looking for a used quality custom built cooker on CL or look at a new one from LSG or Shirley with good thick steel and a good design. I wish that many years ago when I first got into cooking Q I could have started on a quality pit but there wasn't that many pit builders at the time to choose from (over 30 years ago) and I ended up with a box store "blue light special" that leaked like a sieve and was the source of many headaches!:tsk:
I'll say one thing though, once you learn to use one of those things you can cook on ANYTHING!!! Going from a COS to a quality custom built pit is like going from a Ford Pinto to a Cadillac! LOL!!!:razz:

Back