MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

Default Spicy hot bacon?

Been making bacon with great success. But I can't get a spicy bacon to turn out spicy after the cure and smoking. Think of trying the habanero death dust to bring the heat up. Or is there other ways to create the hot flavor?

Old 12-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowin-fire View Post
Been making bacon with great success. But I can't get a spicy bacon to turn out spicy after the cure and smoking. Think of trying the habanero death dust to bring the heat up. Or is there other ways to create the hot flavor?
Try putting your pepper on before you cook the bacon in the pan, or as you remove it from the pan.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
Torch
Got Wood.

Cayenne in the cure does it for me
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

I tried adding 3 tbls to the cure. was a 10lbs belly. Still wasnt very hot. I have some friends that like the hot bacon and dont want them to add anything to it before cooking to get the flavor.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Maybe add a hot arse pepper oil to the brine. Never tried it tho, just a guessing over here.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

Was thinking about a mop of sriacha sauce right before it goes on the egg. Ordered some oakridge habanero death dust today. Wll try a batch with a good helping of that in the cure. I have seen some people slice up jalapeños and lay on the top during the cure proccess. you guys get the heat your looking for our of that?

Old 12-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
ubp_sanity
Knows what a fatty is.

How about adding a few Trinidad Maruga Scorpion peppers in with the cure? Or add some pepper spray.

I'd actually try a good hot sauce in with the mix, I've been using Mongoose hot sauce these days, it's an extremely hot sauce, but it actually tastes like very hot peppers, not like the chemical burning of most of the hot for the sake of hot that's out there.
ubp_sanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubp_sanity View Post
How about adding a few Trinidad Maruga Scorpion peppers in with the cure?
Yeah I am sure that would do it. Not sure i want to go that extreme yet though.