MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Default Sam's vs Costco memberships...?

I've been a member of Sam's for almost a year now. The local store has great meats.....generally. Their fresh produce and salmon are excellent, too.

I've never shopped at Costco before, however we just had one open.

Anyone here members of both?

Any comments on either from a meat lovers perspective?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Both are within 10 minutes from me and we prefer Costco. We used to have two memberships, but that was a waste, so we got rid of the sams one. Some things are a little better at one, and vice versa. I just notice little things, like the pizza is better at costco (both have an amazing 2lb block of extra sharp extra aged cheddar for 10 bucks. Its a steal. I havent been to sam's in a while, but I know costco has a big bag of macadamia nuts (tons of great deals on nuts in their kirkland signature nut jars), fresh salmon, brisket flats and packers, great coffee, 14 oz of tellicherry peppercorns for 4 or 5 bucks, and a ton of other stuff.

Costco also has kingsford comp briquettes on sale in the spring/summer.

Really, they're both good. I like costco, but if sams is closer, I might say go there.

I think costco has better meat sometimes, but I might just be biased inside my brain (I haven't done a comparison in a few years). Both have excellent meats and seem to be on par with each other in that respect.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
bbqwilly
Babbling Farker

I like the ribs and brisket that I get at Costco. I usually buy my butts at Sams, they are about 30 cents a lb cheaper.

Sams has a better selection of restaurant supplies. If you are into vending that will make a difference.

Costco is closer so we go there most of the time. But Sams does have things that Costco doesnt. Ive never needed something that Sams didnt have but Costco did.
bbqwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
wolt98
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have had both. Dumped SAms and now Just go to Costco. Better Service, Better Meats.
wolt98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

We have a membership to both. Our Costco only has boneless butts, and rarely have brisket. I like the butts and sometimes the ribs at Sam's, but mine rarely if ever has packers.

Gas at both is almost the same on any given day, and around here is 15-20 cents less per gallon.

I like comparison shopping between the two as for us, they are both less than three miles from home
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
We have a membership to both. Our Costco only has boneless butts, and rarely have brisket. I like the butts and sometimes the ribs at Sam's, but mine rarely if ever has packers.
Ask the butcher. I've been to the Chicago and Naperville location recently and both have had flats and they might have had packers, but I can't remember. I know they at least had flats.

Last edited by Trumpstylz; 02-05-2013 at 05:41 PM..
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
K80Shooter
Full Fledged Farker

I used to be a member at costco, I drove by it every day to and from work. I always bought ribeye loins there. One day they were out and I got one at Kroger, I never got another one from costco again. This does seem to be isolated to one Kroger store. I have tried others and the meat quality is not the same.

They did have a large selection of other things and the pork and chicken were good. If I still drove by there I would still be a member.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

We regularly shop at Costco but rarely for meat. I get better deals at our local Ralphs/Kroger markets, and in smaller portions.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
cameraman
Babbling Farker

We're members of both, but letting Sam's lapse. Joined RD and don't need Sams meat any more. Most importantly they've gotten a little slimy on their return policy. They pissed me off on some flea and tick stuff that made our dog sick.
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

I drive past Costco to get to Sams.

Like with most places, might be just the opposite in your area/stores, but by me, Sams is the way to go.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Sam's is closer so we go there for bulk items. Sam's around here only has over-trimmed flat and small butts (12 lbs for two). The ribs are pretty good.

Costco around here rarely has briskets at all and only boneless butts.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

We have both. Meats at Sams, everything else at Costco. And briskets at RD.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

The only problem I have with Sam's is they don't accept Visa.

What's up with that?

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
The only problem I have with Sam's is they don't accept Visa.

What's up with that?
Neither do. Costco only takes American Express, but I think you can write a check.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #15
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Here in Northern VA, Costco has USDA Prime NY strips, Ribeyes and Tenderloin. Most of the time, we buy the packer NY strip and slice at home. They are really good. Costco also has St. Louis ribs (Farmland brand) and they are pretty good as well. I am just purchased their chicken thighs in the freezer packs. We did some thighs a few weeks ago, and they all seemed very good as far as skin color and consistent size. They also seem to keep their refrigerator items cooler than SAMs.

I also buy all our ties from Costco. They seem to have better prices and better follow-up service.

SAMs has cheaper cigs (bad habits are hard to let go of), better selection of restaurant supplies, better prices on Soy Sauce, and a few other items.

Neither of them are out of the way for us, so, we hit both about once a month.

Overall, Costco is cleaner and has better customer service all around. SAMs, well it has a few items that are worth stopping there.

For the membership price, I would think it would be worth it to try them for a while.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote