• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Catering Question

Grillman40

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
OK... Have to cater a big party for a bunch of Marines and their families plus the families of a Squadron currently in Iraq. Total people will probably be around 400 and about 2/3's will be women and children.

They left it up to me on what to cook although we know with all the kids I need plenty of hot dogs! (whatever)

I'm torn on the other meat or meats. Leg quarters are fairly cheap for a big party or I could do a bunch of butts. Or both.

Grill space is limited to my drum grill attached to my Lang 84 but I have plenty of smoker space and time to do it.

Potatoe salad, Beans and Rolls no matter what the meat.

Suggestions?

I agree on the pulled pork. If you can get brisket for less than $1.40/# ina case, in your area, chopped BBQ beef could also be an option.

I can usually get the big pork loins cheap enough to make them very cost effective. They don't take as long to cook as a butt, and the loss is less.

Loose meat

Just smoke/cook hamburger spiced up in a big alum. pan and serve with ice cream scope on hamburger bun w/ onions and pickles, got the loose meat idea from Dalton and Plowboy!!

Pulled pork, and chicken thighs or leg quarters, on the smoker, if you have the room after the hotdogs perhaps you could do some smoked burgers, (I do them for the family, put the burgers on cooling racks on top of trays in the smoker, one layer thick on the racks, I have some stacking racks 3 high that fit over a 9 x 13 I can get 24 1/2 lbs onto them, 3:2:3 pattern /rack).

Smoke them for 35 - 40 minutes @ 225 - 230 F then finish on the grill.

They pulled pork is a favorite, but the suggestion of Loin is good if you want a slightly more formal feel, and it is going to be a sitdown event.

If it is run around and stand about I would do pulled pork and thighs.

What everybody up there said!

Actually having just cooked several back to back gigs that were smaller, I would go with the pulled pork, feeds alot, is low in cost and can be very forgiving in the cooking time.

I just did a gig similar to yours and I have to agree with Roo' go with the pulled pork. It's simpler. don't do a rub, just straight. So you're looking at about 200 each - probably 200# of pork shoulder. Parents and kids will eat as much as any adult.

Pulled pork and Brisket man. You can feed an army with 20 or 30 of each and it sounds like that's what your gonna have. If you do cook some hot dogs for the kids id make 15 butts and 15 briskets. Slice the brisket really thin and put the slices in layers in a metal pan brushed with some thinned sauce on each layer. With sides and cutting the brisket like this I think you'll be fine. And you can reheat the brisket in the pans come servin time!

I saw Marines, not Army

(just ask the few and the proud if there's a difference). Anyway - I'd do 200 pounds of pork butts (raw), maybe 160 (4 boxes) of 4/1 all beef hot dogs, 100 pounds of potato salad, 100 pounds of slaw, buns, pickle chips, pepper rings, onion slices, kraut for the dogs, sauce, ketchup, mustard and iced tea.

You can do this quite reasonably.

Gents..

Thanks for the input! Totally leaning towards the Pulled Pork and Leg Quarters now. Of course plenty of those crazy hot dogs for the young uns. Having this gig right on the flightline here at the base so I can start cooking the night before. Which would work out well for the butts...

Me...not so much

Again thanks

Pulled pork is the food of choice for large parties. easy meat.

[quote=Meat Burner;

He meant use an ice cream scoop to dish out the pulled pork for portion control; I hope!

You can easily cook 350lbs of butt on your lang 84. Then use your grill box to cook dogs, burgers, sausage or boneless thighs for sandwiches.

Good idea on the ice cream scoop...need to find me a big one. Thanks Crackerjack...I think I will do the butts then cooler em and do the leg quarters then finish on the grill. I have actually done hot dogs in the warmer then finish em off on the grill if they want. Alot of kids dont like the grill marks.

Now I just had a lady ask me for a quote on a 150 lb pig and a couple of briskets and two turkeys. (wierd combo)

may have to quit my day job someday

Back