MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:52 PM   #121
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
You one of the 18?
I gave myself the same advice I give all prospective candidates, and listened!

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2019, 09:34 PM   #122
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

I found the whole
"Everything is KCBS Intellectual Property; you have to pay us to access it" yet
"We need content for the website, please send us your IP for free"
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #123
Jorge

Special Election Candidates

https://kcbs.us/news_manager.php?page=17482

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 06-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #124
Jorge

June meeting Quick Notes

https://kcbs.us/news_manager.php?page=17481

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 06-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #125
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

so, we're going away from chip draw and back to judges average seating in the next 11 days? Am I reading that right?

I know this is from the results of the survey, but if they could just come up with a system and keep it, that would be great.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #126
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_kc View Post
so, we're going away from chip draw and back to judges average seating in the next 11 days? Am I reading that right?

I know this is from the results of the survey, but if they could just come up with a system and keep it, that would be great.
That's the way I read it. I think it's a bad idea, but the membership has spoken.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 06-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #127
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_kc View Post

Maybe I'm not up to speed on the names of the methods to select judges, or maybe there are two names for the same method. Can someone set me straight? The styles I've witnessed were:

The "show of hands" where everyone migrates to a seat and then the Reps ask the MCBJ's to raise their hands and they were spread around the tables as evenly as possible. Next, the Reps asked questions like "more than 20 judged" or "more than 10 judged", or "less than 5 judged" and then they direct people to exchange seats with others.

The "shuffle" as it was called by some of the Reps which involved lining up outside the judges area in order of number of contests judged. Then everyone counts off according to the number of tables, and that gets you an assigned table. Once assigned they asked if you were seated with a spouse and they asked for MCBJ's to raise their hands. Minor re-seating might happen.

The "auto-seating" (for lack of a better term) where all judges updated their profile of total number of events judged and number of events in the previous year. When you show up and sign in, they told you your table number.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #128
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Maybe I'm not up to speed on the names of the methods to select judges, or maybe there are two names for the same method. Can someone set me straight? The styles I've witnessed were:

The "show of hands" where everyone migrates to a seat and then the Reps ask the MCBJ's to raise their hands and they were spread around the tables as evenly as possible. Next, the Reps asked questions like "more than 20 judged" or "more than 10 judged", or "less than 5 judged" and then they direct people to exchange seats with others.

The "shuffle" as it was called by some of the Reps which involved lining up outside the judges area in order of number of contests judged. Then everyone counts off according to the number of tables, and that gets you an assigned table. Once assigned they asked if you were seated with a spouse and they asked for MCBJ's to raise their hands. Minor re-seating might happen.

The "auto-seating" (for lack of a better term) where all judges updated their profile of total number of events judged and number of events in the previous year. When you show up and sign in, they told you your table number.

A process using a judge's average score has been used, and will be used again if I understand the minutes correctly.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 06-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #129
Jousting Pigs
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Big John

Don't they have to have 9 members on the BOD for the vote to count?
Jousting Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #130
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jousting Pigs View Post
Don't they have to have 9 members on the BOD for the vote to count?
I haven't reviewed the bylaws or Missouri statutes to find out for sure.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 06-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #131
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
A process using a judge's average score has been used, and will be used again if I understand the minutes correctly.
Any idea if the basis for this 'average score' is my average scores (for a particular category, at a particular comp) compared against the average score for the table at that comp? Here is some data from a comp in 2014:

My category average for 6 entries: 28.8245

The table average for the 6 entries 28.4732

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #132
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Quote:
Any idea if the basis for this 'average score' is my average scores (for a particular category, at a particular comp) compared against the average score for the table at that comp? Here is some data from a comp in 2014:

Probably not. It's definitely an imperfect system.

I am actually in favor of this method, but to change the format again, mid year, is not something I'm in favor of. Do it for 2020, imo.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #133
Jorge

Quote:

I don't know for certain what, if any, changes may be implemented. The previous method used a judges cumulative average that covered all categories and events since scoring data started getting captured with the introduction of KCBScore.

Beyond that, I probably can't discuss anything else without getting into proprietary info. The use of the mean has been publicly disclosed, but the way it's used has not to my knowledge.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 06-18-2019, 02:14 AM   #134
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

142 BBQ! Ouch! That table got record setting bad food.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-18-2019, 08:11 AM   #135
GrillBillie_D
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I don't know for certain what, if any, changes may be implemented. The previous method used a judges cumulative average that covered all categories and events since scoring data started getting captured with the introduction of KCBScore.
I talked to a Rep last year and was told that the average was a rolling average of only your last 10 contests judged. If you didn't have 10 but 5 or more, they used your scores for an average. If you had less than 5, they used your scores and they had an average for new judges and your average was a combination of your scores and the newbie average. I have already email the BOD and said no matter what they chose to implement, please explain it to the membership.
GrillBillie_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kcbs