MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
gourmand71
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jason
Default Brisket points

Recently realized: I see a whole lot of brisket flats for sale. So what was done with the points?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Some are ground into burger, some are corned.

Now, at my house.... points are treated differently, and with respect.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
gourmand71
Knows what a fatty is.

Yum!

Burger was my first thought. Sounds like tasty burger!

Old 09-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmand71 View Post
Yum!

Burger was my first thought. Sounds like tasty burger!
I think they just toss the points in with the rest of the trim and grind 'er all together...... but ground brisket & chuck do make a great burger.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
halfprice
On the road to being a farker

That's interesting that you brought this up. I was at Costco last week checking out the meat section and saw all the flats and thought the same thing.

I might have to talk to the meat guys there and see if I can get the points for a discounted price. They sell the flats for around $6 per lb and I'm not paying that much for any part of a brisket.

Jerry

Old 09-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
gourmand71
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
That's interesting that you brought this up. I was at Costco last week checking out the meat section and saw all the flats and thought the same thing.

I might have to talk to the meat guys there and see if I can get the points for a discounted price. They sell the flats for around $6 per lb and I'm not paying that much for any part of a brisket.

Jerry
Costco was a primary reason for this post because my local Costco doesn't have packer cuts, just flats. Not sure if that's true for all Costcos.

And, that price is interesting. The flats at my Costco (Utah) are about $4 a pound...or was when I got one in July.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
lance0623
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post

Jerry
Smart and Final has the cheapest packers I've found in SoCal; if you go there make sure to look through the entire selection as I've found some marked Choice mixed in with the Select and they're all the same price per lb.
lance0623 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
smokin'matt
Knows what a fatty is.

I had been buying my briskets from Sam's for years, up until this past June when I couldn't get a point any longer. Talked with the meat manager whom I have come to know throught the years and he explained that, however hard he tried, he couldn't get a packer or point from his distribution center. Nothing but flats these days. And the price has skyrocketed. Haven't beren able to find a point around here since mid-June. :-(
smokin'matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Bludawg

Screw the Flats Fat is where it's at sliced point rocks I call it Po Mans Prime Rib

Old 09-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
gourmand71
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Screw the Flats Fat is where it's at sliced point rocks I call it Po Mans Prime Rib
How many times can I say amen?

Old 09-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
halfprice
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance0623 View Post
Smart and Final has the cheapest packers I've found in SoCal; if you go there make sure to look through the entire selection as I've found some marked Choice mixed in with the Select and they're all the same price per lb.
I get my packers at Smart and Final. They seem to have the best price. On occasion I see them at Walmart for a decent price. I would like to find a supply of points at a good price.

Jerry

Old 09-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
DMotivate
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmand71 View Post
Costco was a primary reason for this post because my local Costco doesn't have packer cuts, just flats. Not sure if that's true for all Costcos.
The Costco in Chino Hills is the same way. Most of the time it's just flats, every so often they have a whole brisket.
DMotivate is offline   Reply With Quote