MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #7711
IrregularPulse
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks, we do have an Advanced. Actually I think that's the one by my house. I never can remember. I cut through their parking lot several times a week on the way home to bypass a red light and it's long line to turn onto my road. I'll just throw the car in park and run in.
IrregularPulse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #7712
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

Nuther UDS done for a friend who wanted a Cubs theme.

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #7713
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Unless you are going to cook at very high temperature for extended periods of time, you can just use regular spray paint from Wal-Mart or somewhere. It will stand at least 300 degrees for long periods with no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I'm curious as to what paint you're all using for the glossy finishes. Is it engine paint? and do you notice any where near the bottom around the fire basket? I currently have the high heat flat black stuff, but want to color my UDS up and make it shiny.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #7714
Fornia
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchiefdav View Post
Fornia, I had the same problem with my weber lid. I just flatted out the lip on my lid and it sits flat on my drum now. It's not air tight, but it's far enough away from the fire that it doesn't really matter.

I should note that my weber lid is from an old useless OTS, so I didn't mind flattening the lip and donating the lid to my UDS permanently.

As far as your paint issues...I'd say you should see what a good hot fire does to that paint before you start getting quotes on sandblasting. Then again, if a hot fire doesn't get rid of all that paint, I doubt that 250 degrees of BBQ temperature will disturb it either. I know that there are some in this thread who are cooking on drums that still have paint inside of them, the paint just happens to be under a nice layer of grease at this point.
Gotcha! I turned it over, and the bottom does seem to match up closer to the Weber lid (I'll just have to slightly bend the Weber lid on edges).

If going this route,
Am I correct in understanding that I need to 'cut' the bottom round panel out?

Sorry for pathetic question, but I'm not handy...and also talking with welders, fabrication shops, and sandblasters....has me totally confused and exhausted. Trying to save money where I can, so if I can do the bottom panel removal, I'll at least try it.

My sandblaster said he could use a Sawz-All on it, which has me just a bit worried about a 'real rough' cut.
Fornia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #7715
Bubblehead
Knows what a fatty is.

Just finished up my latest drum. Running a Guru on this one because it's WINDY as hell and I don't want to spend my days chasing temps.

Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #7716
righteousdog
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
it's mighty hard to concentrate on the uds with that crocket in the pic... but the shiny ss c ring does help...

all good

Old 04-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #7717
Fornia
Full Fledged Farker

That's one sweet piece there...well, actually two! Awesome build.

I'm curious.... the drums I've got do not have a removable pug, they are solid with no cap at all.

Any thoughts on a simple, but nice option for the flat lid? I would really like to use these lids as they are very clean/nice. Will also use a kettle lid in future.

Any help appreciated!
Fornia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #7718
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

We need a new Thread, cause there is nothing ugly about that drum!

Quote:
Just finished up my latest drum. Running a Guru on this one because it's WINDY as hell and I don't want to spend my days chasing temps.

[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2011, 01:03 AM   #7719
Ground Pounder
Full Fledged Farker

Don't worry Sammy, I'll be adding my pics this weekend, and there ain't gonna' be NOTHIN' pretty about my drum.

I thought about making it all fancy-like, but I figure the uglier it is, the more I can use it as leverage with SWMBO to upgrade to a nice lookin' stick burner next summer.

(Although I'll still keep the drum :)
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2011, 04:33 AM   #7720
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamaque View Post
Here is my UDS with the Guru hooked up.
Duse don't come home drunk tryiing to sneak through the back door. You may end up kicking the hell out of that trespasser.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #7721
IrregularPulse
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:

What'd you use for you stacks? I really like the look of those.
IrregularPulse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #7722
Bubblehead
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
What'd you use for you stacks? I really like the look of those.
They are just some chrome velocity stacks, I've used them on all my drums and like the look and functionality. You can find them on eBay for ten bucks or so.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #7723
Bubblehead
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornia View Post
That's one sweet piece there...well, actually two! Awesome build.

I'm curious.... the drums I've got do not have a removable pug, they are solid with no cap at all.

Any thoughts on a simple, but nice option for the flat lid? I would really like to use these lids as they are very clean/nice. Will also use a kettle lid in future.

Any help appreciated!
I've found that Weber lids fit quite nicely on the bottom of most drums. You could always flip it over and chisel out the bottom & make it the top. If you want a flat lid, I've seen replacement lids out there like this...

http://www.moultriefeeders.com/produ...l.aspx?id=8546

Old 04-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #7724
Guamaque
On the road to being a farker

That is some nice work on that drum !!
Guamaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #7725
kcarz
Found some matches.

Quote:

Great job. Did you use a paint gun or rattle can to paint it? I am working on my first UDS now.
kcarz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker