Blackstone 36" Griddle

Thanks for the recommendation, Jim.
I think my mind is made up. I was leaning ever so slightly to the Camp Chef, which I hadn't even heard of before starting my internet research. All of the good comments and txsmkmstr's experience with BS's customer service have pushed me back to the Blackstone camp.
It seems these two are very equally matched and my thought is maybe you don't need the extra 12k btu's with the BS, but what if you want it? And it's slightly less money.
That said, I'll start my search and it will come down to one of two things: If I find one of them locally or whichever I find cheaper.
Less $$ for cooker= more $$ for meat!
I'll be sure to post here when I get one home, as well as the seasoning of it and the first cooks on it.
Thanks for all of the help folks!
Terry

So much for waiting and shopping around.
I just ordered one from Amazon. Will be here Wednesday.
Ordered the basic accessory kit with it, cover, spatulas and scraper, 2 squirt bottles and steam dome.
Delivered ~$300.
I'm excited. :-D

There is a really good Blackstone Owners Facebook group...if you do that sort of thing.

Lots of good information, recipes, equipment reviews, and even some vendors doing custom lids and stuff.

Check it out.

As much as I hate FB, I'll have to sneak on there when Mrs. Fan isn't watching and check it out.
Thanks Joel!
Terry

Just bought a Camp Chef and have not cooked on it yet. tere was a 20% discount coupon from Dicks and it's right down the street. Thought it reasonable but I've sss killer deals on ther blackstone. One thing I wish the CC had was all 4 wheels like the BS. It would make moving it a lot easier. You can but accessories to add that to the CC but you have to buy new left side legs and casters. Still figuring. It came packaged reallty well and easy to piut together.

Mike, I was really on the fence. I would have bought either one if I had found it locally. From what I've found, both are quality products.
Please feel free to post your thoughts on it in this thread when you do your first cooks on it, and I'll do the same when mine comes in.
On the bright side, Mrs Fan was a bit less than happy when I told here what I'd bought. A few youtube videos later and now she's excited about it. Whew!

Make sure you spray the entire griddle with food grade silicone daily. I tried to clean and wipe it down with rice bran oil (high temp) every time i used it but it still rusted (even with a cover). I had to sand blast it and use food grade silicone spray. It hasn't rusted since.

I don't think you could have made a bad decision either way. I ended up getting the CC 600 about 3 weeks ago now. I got mine off Amazon when most of the prices for either the BS or CC were $299. I've seen both prices higher and lower, but whatever. I mostly based my decision off of the folding side shelves, and the leveling feet on one side of the unit. The ability to remove the griddle top and use the grill portion played a very small factor, but did factor in. I like to buy a bushel of chilies every yr and roast them off and freeze. The large grill surface will be nice for that! The ability to individually light each burner is a very nice feature also.
You'll love the griddle! It will take you less than an hour to put together and fire up. I didn't do any seasoning, just got to cooking. We've thrown everything at and my entire family loves it. Bacon, sausage, burgers, grilled cheese, quesadillas, potatoes. On and on. Plenty of room and super fast. Best part is no greasy, smokey mess in the kitchen.
I got the BS accessory pack with 2 spats, a scraper and 2 bottles for like $20 on Amazon. Quality product for the $$.

Side note** you may have seen a video where a youtuber put his together and commented on not enough flat washers. I ran into the same. Page 10 fig 1 shows using 12 flat washers. I use all mine here. Page 11 fig 4 shows using 4 more washers. I didn't have them, and to me it didn't make sense or look as nice having them there so I chose to use them all in fig 1.

Attachments

• 20181006_075024-1024x1365.jpg
    20181006_075024-1024x1365.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 20181006_075039-1024x1365.jpg
    20181006_075039-1024x1365.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 20181003_185127-1024x1365.jpg
    20181003_185127-1024x1365.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Does anyone know when/if the SS model will be available with the rear grease management system?

Candice and Thunder, Thank you for the info!

Candice, do you keep yours in a damp or salt air environment? I ask because this is the first mention of a rust problem, even with ones stored outside. I plan to keep mine in the garage when not in use, so hopefully I won't have an issue, but will certainly keep the silicone in mind!

Thunder, That's a great looking spread! I ordered an accessory package that has those as well as the cover and steam dome.
Hopefully if there's any missing hardware, I'll have some in my stash.
The leveling legs would have been a nice feature, I may be able to come up with some way of making mine adjustable. (Machinist by trade)

Definitely looking forward to cooking breakfast next weekend.

Candice and Thunder, Thank you for the info!

Candice, do you keep yours in a damp or salt air environment? I ask because this is the first mention of a rust problem, even with ones stored outside. I plan to keep mine in the garage when not in use, so hopefully I won't have an issue, but will certainly keep the silicone in mind!

Thunder, That's a great looking spread! I ordered an accessory package that has those as well as the cover and steam dome.
Hopefully if there's any missing hardware, I'll have some in my stash.
The leveling legs would have been a nice feature, I may be able to come up with some way of making mine adjustable. (Machinist by trade)

Definitely looking forward to cooking breakfast next weekend.

Ah, looking back I must have somehow misunderstood that you actually went with the Blackstone! My apologies posting useless directions that you won't need lol. Still, you'll love having an outside griddle and the Blackstone is certainly a very reputable product. Cheers man!

No worries thunder!
Still enjoying looking at the spread you cooked up!
Just checked my shipping info. Mine will be here Wednesday, so I should be in good shape for cooking on it by the weekend.��

Pharp, I debated about the stainless model, but since I plan to keep mine in the garage when not in use, decided to save the $100.
My understanding is the production has changed to the rear grease dump, so it's probably a matter of how soon the existing inventory is sold.
No idea which one I'm getting, but I've seen enough work arounds that I don't see the side drain being an issue.
I've got an idea about threading a pipe fitting to the drain and running a tube down into an oil container instead of the little tray. I'll figure it out when I get my hands on the thing.

No worries thunder!
Still enjoying looking at the spread you cooked up!
Just checked my shipping info. Mine will be here Wednesday, so I should be in good shape for cooking on it by the weekend.��

Pharp, I debated about the stainless model, but since I plan to keep mine in the garage when not in use, decided to save the $100.
My understanding is the production has changed to the rear grease dump, so it's probably a matter of how soon the existing inventory is sold.
No idea which one I'm getting, but I've seen enough work arounds that I don't see the side drain being an issue.
I've got an idea about threading a pipe fitting to the drain and running a tube down into an oil container instead of the little tray. I'll figure it out when I get my hands on the thing.

They got back with me and said it would be a while since they have a lot of stock of the older style.

I have the blackstone and like it. As others have said....I've had it rust, but was due to my own neglect. It is a fun toy to use and puts out some good food. People seem to be impressed when they see it too. Especially full of food. Enjoy it!

So much for waiting and shopping around.
I just ordered one from Amazon. Will be here Wednesday.
Ordered the basic accessory kit with it, cover, spatulas and scraper, 2 squirt bottles and steam dome.
Delivered ~$300.
I'm excited. :-D

Impressive restraint -- from the post timing it looks like you held out for almost an hour :biggrin1:

Congrats on the purchase!

DW, that's exactly right. I've been accused of having the will power of a crack addict. :laugh:
Got home and it was in the driveway. Fortunately, we're a bit secluded and the neighbors we have appear to be trustworthy.

Last edited:
So, got it inside and assembled, test fired then had to call it a night.
Left my glasses at work, so trying to post from my phone is a bit tough.
I'll be sure to post the assembly pics in the morning.
So far, very happy with the thing and looking forward to the first cook.

EDIT: I expected the old style grease drain, on the right front corner, but it's the rear grease drain design. Added bonus.

Last edited:
Back