MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

View Poll Results: Is the new revised pork rule good for BBQ?
Yes! 33 28.21%
No! 18 15.38%
Meh 19 16.24%
Pork is now a grilling contest 5 4.27%
Nothing changes for me 34 29.06%
Farker! 8 6.84%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

There are a lot of holes in this rule. Cooking the pork pretty much any way you wish could be considered "by the letter" so why not get rid of the rule entirely.
Pretty sure their intent it so allow you to fully cook your pork whole then return parts of it to your pit to set the sauce, but with this rule, you aren't required to cook the whole butt or fully cook it before separating.

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

As a judge, I am having a hard time thinking about seeing a box with just MM in it. It would almost be like seeing a box with just burnt ends.

I guess it would be "ok", but I think a box with other parts of the item would better represent the overall cook, and their ability to cook it.

The rule seemed fine the way it was. Don't think I'll change, but, time will tell (not that I am a major competitor in any catagory, but I plan on getting there )

Just my 2 cents...........

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #18
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbbq1234 View Post
As a judge, I am having a hard time thinking about seeing a box with just MM in it. It would almost be like seeing a box with just burnt ends.

wallace
The few times I have judged the last couple of years, I have seen way more boxes with just sliced MM than I have MM and pulled.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #19
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
The few times I have judged the last couple of years, I have seen way more boxes with just sliced MM than I have MM and pulled.

Man, I guess times are a changing..... Bummer.

It has been about 2 years since we judged.

wallace

- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"

Old 07-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #20
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

When I cook FBA I usually put pulled, mm and tubes in the box. Maybe even chunks. Need to cook 4 butts to get product. In kcbs I usually do mm and pulled or chunks. This rule change only impacts cooking methods not what goes in the box.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

I had been just putting in pulled and have done fine.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
BMerrill
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbbq1234 View Post

I guess it would be "ok", but I think a box with other parts of the item would better represent the overall cook, and their ability to cook it.

The rule seemed fine the way it was. Don't think I'll change, but, time will tell (not that I am a major competitor in any catagory, but I plan on getting there )

Just my 2 cents...........

wallace
Judges should be judging what is presented and only what is presented and not making assumtions about why something is or isn't in the box and scoring the entry based upon their assumptions.

We have all heard these statements and 100's more like them.
"I marked it down because there weren't any burnt ends."
"Thick sliced brisket, must be over done."
"No skin on the chicken? Guess they can't cook chicken skin"
"No sliced money muscle? a 2 point deduction"
BMerrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #23
Smokedelic
Full Fledged Farker

So we go from pork that must weigh at least 5 lbs. that doesn't have to be cooked whole to pork that has to be cooked whole but doesn't have to weigh at least 5 lbs.?

What the fark Board?

Old 07-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #24
Bentley
Babbling Farker

It seems that it all comes down to the MM and whether it is parted, cooked separately, only MM is cooked, blab, blab, blab, etc, etc, etc...I have never understood the issue at all? As long as Any team can do what Any other team can do, it just makes no sense to me. So the MM is some Golden piece of meat that teams win with, great, all have the opportunity to do it!

What am I missing?
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #25
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

I really don't understand all this panty-wadding over this 'new' rule.

If I thought that having the meat from 4 money muscles was going to help me get a top-5 pork call every contest, I wouldn't think twice about spending another $40 in meat to guarantee a call.

I could trim all 4 butts down to where the MM was barely attached, I could be cooking legally (within old rules) and have basically the same thing as all you who are worried about some door being opened think is going to happen.

A person with a creative mind can work within the rules and produce a high quality product while all the whiners are sitting around wondering who's doing what...
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #26
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
I suppose I see what they are trying to do with it, but I don't see any way of wording it that will not cause confusion and/or allow for "creative interpretation". Make folks show up with whole butts or shoulders, and cook them how they want... let the judging sort it out.

I have to disagree. The skill set in cooking pork shoulder is being able to take the whole piece and cook it well. Lets face it the original intent was a whole shoulder. Unfortunately finding a whole shoulder isn't always the easiest thing so they allowed the two portions but never intended to allow the piece to be trimmed into smaller portions to get the cook you want. By allowing any technique you dumb down the skills needed and make it "easybake" BBQ.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #27
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMerrill View Post
Judges should be judging what is presented and only what is presented and not making assumtions about why something is or isn't in the box and scoring the entry based upon their assumptions.

We have all heard these statements and 100's more like them.
"I marked it down because there weren't any burnt ends."
"Thick sliced brisket, must be over done."
"No skin on the chicken? Guess they can't cook chicken skin"
"No sliced money muscle? a 2 point deduction"
Yes, yes, I know. And be rest assured, that is the way we judge/score. We do NOT score up or down based on "missing things", or the like.

We score the way we want to be scored!

You wont hear any of those statements from us.

wallace

- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"

Old 07-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #28
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP View Post
They should have done this latest virson but left the 5lb minnium in as well.

With the rule as it is written, I wounder when some online meat source is going to start marketing just the money muscle in a 3 pack cryovac
A money muscle would not pass inspection based on this rule. The rule says "whole" pork butt. No one could consider a money muscle being a whole pork butt. That said, agree that keeping the 5lb rule would make it clearer.

I do like the general direction where cook it whole but its OK to place cooked portions back on the pit.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #29
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs on Fire View Post
I really don't understand all this panty-wadding over this 'new' rule.

If I thought that having the meat from 4 money muscles was going to help me get a top-5 pork call every contest, I wouldn't think twice about spending another $40 in meat to guarantee a call.

I could trim all 4 butts down to where the MM was barely attached, I could be cooking legally (within old rules) and have basically the same thing as all you who are worried about some door being opened think is going to happen.

A person with a creative mind can work within the rules and produce a high quality product while all the whiners are sitting around wondering who's doing what...
I think part of it is folks who don't like the new rule in general. And as long as the rule is the same for everyone it doesn't really matter to me. Not a big deal.

The other part of the discussion I see is where folks question the new rule because is isn't very clear or modified/changed/updated in such a way that makes more sense than the previous rule.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #30
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs on Fire View Post
Thats not creativity thats exploitation of a rule in a manner not intended. Butterflying the money muscle down to a single strand attachment is not cooking whole in anyones book. Its not creative and the reason we are in this 4 year battle over the rule.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote