Ribs and beef for the 'Bama/A&M game

va_connoisseur

Full Fledged Farker
I have been asked to smoke some food for ~20 people watching the 'Bama/A&M game. Others will be bringing side dishes.

For meats the want ribs and brisket. To avoid being out there all day, I am recommending ribs and shredded chuck roast.

With 4 full spare racks, how much chuck do you think I need? 5 pounds too much?

That isn't a lot of ribs per person. Sounds like beef will be the big part of the meal. Assuming you mean 5 pounds pre-cook, I think you might even need more. Leftovers will be good on Sunday if they are still there. I would go with 8 lbs or so, but that is just me.

I fat fingered it, I meant 7 racks of spares. My plan is for 1/3 a rack per person. Think I still need 8 pounds of chuck? If so, I was thinking of going with 2 four pounders for more bark and a quicker cook time.

Should be able to wrap the entire cook up in 6 hours at ~275 or am I off the mark?

Your timing sounds right, and I agree on doing two smaller chucks. I still would rather play it safe and go with 8 lbs (unless you know there are going to be a ton of substantial sides). Don't forget to leave some time to rest and pull the chuck before serving.

The team you are rooting for might have some bearing on the amount of food needed. When Alabama commences whoopin' on Johnny-football A&M fans might lose their appetite. :grin:

The team you are rooting for might have some bearing on the amount of food needed. When Alabama commences whoopin' on Johnny-football A&M fans might lose their appetite. :grin:

LOL. I don't have a dog in the fight. 'Bama rolled VaTech two weeks ago. I just want a good close game and to drum up some business for my budding catering venture. :clap2:

LOL. I don't have a dog in the fight. 'Bama rolled VaTech two weeks ago. I just want a good close game and to drum up some business for my budding catering venture. :clap2:

That was one, damn, ugly win too, I will admit. Considering that sides AND beer will be involved sounds like you have enough meat. Extra never hurts, but hey.

And above and best of all "No Teasip's"

Best wishes for a great cook-out.

And above and best of all "No Teasip's"

Best wishes for a great cook-out.
Hey, now! ;) \m/

Still got my horns up after being bullied by the Mormons. They aren't as high as I normally keep 'em, but they're still up ;)

Go 'Bama! Roll Tide!

The outcome will be the same from a year ago.

A&M is like the Japanese after Pearl Harbor. In the words of Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto : "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Hey!! We sent Bama Harvey U.

Gig Em Aggies-Roll Damn Tide.

I just want it to be a great game and not decided by a Zebra, either way, with a bad call.

This town is crazy this week. Crazier than a normal home game week. I started seeing RV's roll in about Tuesday. One friend of mine sold two of his tickets for $790 each and another friend bought 4 tickets for $550 each. CRAZYNESS!!! I plan on tailgating in the shadows of Kyle Field Saturday morning/afternoon, then probably move in to my theater with the A/C, a cold one and a 120" screen.

As for the OP, might as well make it an even 8 racks and 8 pound Chuck. During a 3 hour game with 20 peeps, there won't be any leftovers.

This town is crazy this week. Crazier than a normal home game week. I started seeing RV's roll in about Tuesday. One friend of mine sold two of his tickets for $790 each and another friend bought 4 tickets for $550 each. CRAZYNESS!!! I plan on tailgating in the shadows of Kyle Field Saturday morning/afternoon, then probably move in to my theater with the A/C, a cold one and a 120" screen.

As for the OP, might as well make it an even 8 racks and 8 pound Chuck. During a 3 hour game with 20 peeps, there won't be any leftovers.
only 1 peeps and he's a Horn! \m/

Roll Tide! (except not so hard in like 20 years when another stupid OC runs our QB on a goal line sneak...don't roll so hard then.) :razz:

Back