MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
tmkshew
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Sunday Smokeday - Spareribs and Great Weather

I haven't posted anything in a while. I'm very new to this site and to BBQ in general. To give you an idea; I'm 23 years old.

I wanted to post this smoke because I decided to scrap everything I was doing previously and change a lot of my methods.
Anyways, I have had problems with my ribs being blackened during my smoke. They were still awesome but to be honest, they just weren't the good color that everyone loves and expects.

I used to a 14" pizza stone with no bowl underneath for better coal managing leverage.
I wasn't used to the increased heat that I had read and expected to see from using the pizza stone. I could barely keep the WSM to 250F.

017.jpg

Still didn't end up being the worst ribs.

I rubbed two slabs down with your average yellow mustard, and dusted them with some Plowboys Yardbird...great stuff. Refrigerated over night.

022.jpg
Never ended up using any BBQ Sauce just so you know.
011.jpg

3/4 of the way through I grabbed the ribs from the grill, threw them in foil, and rubbed them with a thin layer of brown sugar, and a good amount of pure honey (a lot more expensive than I thought).
I put them back on the smoker for another hour and a half.

018.jpg

Took those slabs off at 170 being extremely excited using my pron.
Before you guys say anything, I know I need to wait until they hit around 180-190F for the good fall-off-the-bone type.

These ribs were very tough but still delicious.

024.jpg
026.jpg
028.jpg

All in all it was a fast, no-slow-and-low-smoke.
The good part is, I've got my rubs down, I've got my timing down, and these tips and tricks that people keep suggesting to others, as well as to me is helping me tremendously.
I'm not looking for any help or anything, but I'm always open to suggestions. This post is more about thanking the brethren for your help, support, and unwillingness to let someone's questions go unanswered.
I appreciate it more than you guys will ever know.

Enough of the speeches, let's eat!

For any of the O's Brethren (if any besides myself) this opening day picture is for you!
009.jpg

Hope you guys liked what you saw.
I plan to begin posting a lot more!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (73.7 KB, 127 views)

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Those look great to me keep up the good work
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
GeauxBigRed
On the road to being a farker

Looks good. Are you saying you took out the water bowl completely? I filled mine with sand a while back and love it that way. I just put foil on it for each cook...can't be a no hassle clean up.

I like that little work table/cart you've got there too. I've been meaning to build one of those.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks good to me!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
tmkshew
Knows what a fatty is.

Yeah I take the water bowl out to manage the coals easier. It's kind of a tight squeeze on a 18.5". 22.5" might have more room.

As for the cart... I got it for $8 at the Salvation Army. Came with a cutting board on top. It's great.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
dannypat21
is One Chatty Farker

Ribs look pretty darn good
dannypat21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BBQ Ribs, BBQ rub, ribs, rubs, smoker, Smoking, spare ribs, Spareribs, WSM