MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
smokeinthenoke
On the road to being a farker

Default Fruit Wood Score! Apple and Peach

I finally found a local orchard with a pretty much unlimited supply of apple AND peach wood. It seems like people often ask them for apple wood, but not in large quantities, but the guy said no one has ever asked him for peach wood (i guess because apple is so much more common around here). The best part is it's not too expensive. About 2.5 cubic feet box for $10.

smokeinthenoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Smokin Ribs
is one Smokin' Farker

Great Score!!

Old 03-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Did you make sure they don't spray their trees/fruit? If they don't that sounds like a great find.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
smokeinthenoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
Did you make sure they don't spray their trees/fruit? If they don't that sounds like a great find.
Hmmm... I actually didn't think of that. I don't think they do. The orchard is owned by an Amish family and has been around pretty much forever. Not that it makes a difference, but it just seems like most of their stuff is more "naturally" grown. I know they frequently sell the apple wood to people for smoking.

What effect does it have on the smoke/fire/flavor if they do? Nothing good I'm sure. I haven't heard anyone talk about this before and I'm curious to know more. Thanks for the input!

Old 03-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Apple trees are usually sprayed with a fungicide, but it is water soluble and washes off when it rains -- or so "they" say.

Looks like some parts of the wood are punky. Might be worth cutting out and tossing those areas.

Very good score nonetheless.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
smokeinthenoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Apple trees are usually sprayed with a fungicide, but it is water soluble and washes off when it rains -- or so "they" say.

Looks like some parts of the wood are punky. Might be worth cutting out and tossing those areas.

Very good score nonetheless.
What does punky wood do to the fire/flavor etc.? I've only ever purchased wood that is kiln dried for smoking meat (like in a bag from the store, but that is going to be way too expensive for my giant new smoker) so I don't know a lot about what to use/not use other than what species of wood, or proper drying and storage, etc. I'm a wood newbie! Any wood tips or information appreciated! Thanks

Old 04-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeinthenoke View Post
What does punky wood do to the fire/flavor etc.? I've only ever purchased wood that is kiln dried for smoking meat (like in a bag from the store, but that is going to be way too expensive for my giant new smoker) so I don't know a lot about what to use/not use other than what species of wood, or proper drying and storage, etc. I'm a wood newbie! Any wood tips or information appreciated! Thanks
Punky means soft and starting to rot. Punky wood is much lighter than good sound wood. If you clank two chunks together, good wood has a ring to it, bad wood has a dull thud. It also has very little heat value to it and can give an off taste. I cut it out and get rid of it.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Will you guys stop with the scare tactics. Pesticides sprayed on the trees do not enter the wood and stay there.

See post 35 in this thread.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...light=chemical

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
NazBQ

Nice find!
[B]Cook Team[/B] @ [URL="http://WolfCandyBBQ.com"]WolfCandyBBQ.com[/URL]
[B]Web Designer[/B] @ [URL="http://barbecuewebsites.com"]BarbecueWebsites.com[/URL]
NazBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
smokeinthenoke

what about moss? with that pretty much just burn off pretty quickly or should I try to scrape or cut off those areas

Old 04-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #12
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

If the growers are Amish it's pretty safe they have never used any pesticide on them. I don't think they use herbicides either.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
jonobacon
Got Wood.

Nice work! I need to figure out how to get some peach wood out here in Cali.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

You can leave the moss on the wood. It will dry out and burn off.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Sweet! I'm jealous. Peach wood is probably my fav fruit wood.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote