Competition questions for the Brethren?

L

Little Bob's BBQ

I want to get in with an establish BBQ team to get started. Seen a team (near home) put out an add for new members here with the Brethren. I called him up as soon as I seen it, talked to the guy for quite a wile on the phone. He did invite me to come down to the Smoke on the square in Franklin. He was going to call to set up lunch the next week, he never did. I showed up today at the contest, he didn't remember me at all.I asked if he was still taking new members. He didn't say no but he didn't say yes.
That being said how do I get with a team?
Is it better to just start on my own in a backyard division?
Do all teams just say they want somebody (we usually have 4 but will take5 or 6) to join their team, just for the money?
I'm very,very interested in getting with a team but, I want to be a part of the team not just a sponsor!
I don't seam to be able to get with anybody that needs help.:doh:

Please don't be discouraged. You are doing the right thing... asking here.
You will find someone who will take you under their wing.

And you might consider starting your own backyard team. You're likely to meet other backyarders who may wanna start a team, or you can decide if you want to start your own competitive team.

Good luck.

Me, I'd say just start, but honestly why bother with backyard? Why not just KCBS or otherwise sanctioned contests? That way when you compete you'll learn the right way, not learning other ways only having to adjust. There are 1 man teams. Most of the better KCBS teams are 2 or 3 man. It's only in something like MBN where you really need the 4th, 5th, or 6th person.

just go for it. you and one buddy and you have your team. keith

I will be cooking in New Palestine the end of July. You are more than welcome to come join my girlfriend and I.

Thanks to all of the Brethren that have offered to help get me in a BBQ contest. I was not in a good mood last night after returning from Franklin, In. I have got with Old Dave here in Indiana I'll be helping him at Kettering.
Thanks again, Please come talk with me there, I would love to meet you all!

Little Bob:becky:

That kind of sucks, but like many others have said absolutely don't be discouraged. I didn't know much about competition bbq a year ago, but learned a lot on this forum and online. I may have started out similar to you.

My buddy likes to cook bbq too so this year we started a team with just us 2. Our first 2 comps we did MBN (mostly because they were close) and entered into the backyard division. There were 20+ backyard teams (more teams than the pro division) at each so that was good competition for us and the entry fee was much less and you don't have to cook a whole hog :). We got calls at both and that was fun. Then we did a full on KCBS and finished dead ass last, but still the most fun in the world.

Having 2 people or more is great to help with costs and of course the work. I would say start your own team. Starting out in Backyard for us was nice because the fees were less, at least at the first 2. We did the KCBS because is was close and wanted to give that a try too. Really we will try and enter anything that is less than 2hrs away.

Good luck. If you want to send me any questions via PM, please do. I'm a rookie but love to share whatever I have learned.

one man teams

Don't be afraid to try it on your own. With a good timeline and focus, a one man team can successfully compete in KCBS contests. Am a rookie one-man team, and in my first comp came in 10th overall (out of 25), with a 10th in chicken and pork, a 12th in ribs :)mad2:) and a 7th in brisket. Saturday turn-ins are a bit intense (got my ribs in with only 20 seconds left last comp), but the feeling of satisfaction and achievement afterwards is awesome. Cannot wait for my next comp! :thumb:

Thanks to all of the Brethren that have offered to help get me in a BBQ contest. I was not in a good mood last night after returning from Franklin, In. I have got with Old Dave here in Indiana I'll be helping him at Kettering.
Thanks again, Please come talk with me there, I would love to meet you all!

Little Bob:becky:

Many a new team got their start with Old Dave and you couldn't have picked a better one to start with. Be sure to look me up in Kettering.

Old Dave is a great guy and he knows BBQ. You did good. See you at Kettering.
DP

I say just cook by yourself. It is very satisfying taking that walk and if something doesn't go as planned you have only yourself to blame. If you are well organized it will be easy. Most people think i just walk around all the time. :grin:

I would just put your own team together and do sanctioned events. There is plenty of information here to get you started. At the competitions you can get plenty of tips just walking around and talking with other teams.

It is just my wife, kids, and myself. There isn't anyone else to help us with expenses but it is alot of fun. You do that first one then your hooked.

Many a new team got their start with Old Dave and you couldn't have picked a better one to start with. Be sure to look me up in Kettering.

Totally agree. Also look us up. I'm the old fat guy on our team. One word of warning....stay away from them Perry Bros they're reeeeaaal trouble.:heh:

Good luck! I did exactly what you are doing when I got started. I put the word out that I wanted to sit in with a team and be a fly on the wall so I could see the process. It was a great learning experience. From there I went solo then asked my bro in law if he would like to help me out. He said no at first but I twisted his arm a little after doing good at another comp and then he offered to wash dishes. After that he was hooked and we've been a team ever since. Now the whole dang family comes out. We do a lot of vending so the extra help is nice. You're on the right track, good luck and any questions about competing can be answered here.

I want to get in with an establish BBQ team to get started. Seen a team (near home) put out an add for new members here with the Brethren. I called him up as soon as I seen it, talked to the guy for quite a wile on the phone. He did invite me to come down to the Smoke on the square in Franklin. He was going to call to set up lunch the next week, he never did. I showed up today at the contest, he didn't remember me at all.I asked if he was still taking new members. He didn't say no but he didn't say yes.
That being said how do I get with a team?
Is it better to just start on my own in a backyard division?
Do all teams just say they want somebody (we usually have 4 but will take5 or 6) to join their team, just for the money?
I'm very,very interested in getting with a team but, I want to be a part of the team not just a sponsor!
I don't seam to be able to get with anybody that needs help.:doh:
You could come be on my team.........but the commute to Iowa is a killer.

Be your own team. I am a one man cooking team and I enlist friends to come and help with turn-ins and load out. I pay them with bbq and they stay happy.

Back